Stuffed bell peppers...more

Started by SmokinMoe, February 09, 2005, 02:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

I tried it again last night.  I changed it up some though.
I cut the top off a bell pepper, then stuffed it with smoked chicken breast that had a rub on it when I smoked it mixed in with Hormel bacon bits from Sam's Club, then put a thin layer of sour cream over the chicken, then a thin slice of white onion, then I shredded up some MJ cheese and put that on top of the onion,then a thin layer of cream cheese, and then bacon over the top.
When it was done, I crumbled up the vinegar chips and put on top.  It was delicious, but it held alot of moisture or something.  Next time, I think I will poke a hole in the bottom and drain them some before serving.  I don't know if the moisture was from the smoker building up inside the pepper or if it was from the sour cream or the cream cheese.
It was a big hit with my husband.  He said the onion was the best part, and I have to agree.  Who knew an onion would taste great smoked? LOL
I used maple pucks and cooked on 250 degrees for about an hour and a half.
Still not 100% satisfied, I think I have one more variation I want to try before moving on.
Chez, I am going to work on that sale this weekend.  BIL is coming over and I am smoking a Boston Butt.  SIL wants to buy one for BIL for his birthday, and I am going to show her the Bradley.  He will be there too, so hopefully, I can get you a sale!!
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

MallardWacker

MOE,

I think you have done it.  Man that combo of layers sounds great....This could be up there with Old's CHaaCHeeBee's.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

SmokinMoe,

Can you do an outline of this. Some of it I'm not too sure of what you are say.
For example:<hr noshade size="1"><b>then stuffed it with smoked chicken breast that had a rub on it when I smoked it mixed in with Hormel bacon bits </b><hr noshade size="1">

When was the bacon added? When you smoked the chicken or during the stuffing? Also what rub?

Next what is MJ cheese?
Thanks Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />Next what is MJ cheese?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Monterey Jack, I would assume. If it stands for Michael Jackson's cheese, I'm runnin' as fast as I can![:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

SmokinMoe

I took chicken breasts and rubbed them with the Southern Succor rub from S&S and smoked them with alder wood. I did have a tray of bacon over the top of the chicken breasts when I originally smoked them.   We had some left over, so I just refrigerated overnight and then diced it up very fine the next day for the peppers.  I took the hormel bacon that is precooked and crumbled(you can buy it at Sam's Club) and mixed it in with the diced chicken. Then, I added that to the half-way height of the pepper and then layered the rest.
If I were to do it again, I would dice up onion and add alot to the chicken/bacon mixture because the onion had a great taste to it. After adding the bacon/chicken mixture, I put a thin layer of sour cream, a thin slice of onion, a thin layer of monterey jack cheese on top of the onion, and then a thin layer of cream cheese.  Then, after that was packed in there, I put a couple of slices of bacon over the top of the pepper.  They covered the top of the pepper and draped down over the sides.
 I would also put a small hole or series of small holes in the bottom of the peppers to help drain it.  I think I would do that during the prep time so that it would drain as needed during the cook-time.  It was extremely watery when I cut them up.  Cutting the holes might keep things more crisp, which is the way I wanted it.
Monterey Jack cheese.  Chez was right.  I would run too.

Oldman

Let me see if I got this correctly.

You use a previously smoked breast chicken that had the rub "Southern Succor rub from S&S" applied to it. Smoked them using alder wood.

Now:
* Cut off the top of pepper, remove seeds etc..
* Mix up the diced/ chopped smoked chicken, fully cooked bacon, and onion together.<b>(Would the chicken, bacon, onion be of equal parts?)</b>
* Stuff the pepper about 1/2 full using this mixture.

Next layer in the following.

* thin layer of sour cream,
* a thin slice of onion,
* a thin layer of monterey jack cheese
* a thin layer of cream cheese.  
* a couple of slices of bacon over the top of the pepper.
* a topping of crumbled up the vinegar chips.
* a smoked period of hour and a half using maple pucks @ 250 degrees F.

Next you suggest adding some small drainage holes in the pepper for drainage.

<b>Please advise what else if anything I missed.</b>
Thank you,
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SmokinMoe

I would use more chicken than the crumbled up bacon, but that is a personal preference. Onion is also a personal preference, but I would use diced, not finely chopped.
The vinegar chips I used AFTER I took out the peppers.  I crumbled them up and put over the whole thing once it was on my plate.  I cut the pepper in half after it was cooked and then sprinkled the crushed vinegar chips over both halves.
I would poke the holes in the bottom of the pepper first before stuffing so that you can place them without worrying about dumping out the contents.
ALSO, use the green bell peppers with four legs to it instead of 3, they stand up better.

Oldman

Ok so I take it that a safe mixture would be 50% chicken, 25% bacon, 25% onion. The tip on the 4 pod instead of a 3 pod pepper is great!

Now I've been thinking this idea of holes in your peppers. May I suggest that you cut V-shaped slits in the bottom of the peppers and push the slits over the bars of the rack. This will allow your liquid to escape and the bars will help steady the pepper.

Your use of left over chicken with peppers is an Innovative idea. I like your thinking. Keep it up. We need more new ideas/ thought-lines.

Thanks!
Olds