Oh,can smoked shrimp ever be topped?

Started by SmokinMoe, February 24, 2005, 10:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

Well,
I had mucho family over this past weekend, and I believe the "non-cooking" curse my husband bestowed on me early in marriage in now a defunct myth!!
I smoked some bacon over the top of shrimp.  I used the S&S recipe for the lime jalenpeno shrimp and the one with the just olive oil, lemon juice and your fave rub.  
Good grief, I felt sorry for the ones who showed up last!  My six year old led the pack and she could not understand why she couldn't just load up her plate!!
It was so good, that I just could not believe it!! I had smoked large shrimp a few weeks ago and they were ok.  I understand that large shrimp is chewier anyway, so I just tossed it up to that.
This time I used the medium shrimp and they came out PERFECT.
Not to mention that I did a Boston Butt the Saturday before with some of the same family members only to hear that they were BRAGGING about it to friends of ours.  That made me feel really good since my husband swears I don't cook.   I do, just nothing for him to remember I guess.  Anyway, they all said I have found my niche with this smoker, so I have finally outlived the cursed "no cook" reputation after 13 years!
WOO HOO!

If you have to cook, you might as well watch it all go up in Smoke!!

How's that for my new catchy saying?
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

Chez Bubba

Congrats Moe! You da (wo)man![8D][8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

"Oh, can smoked shrimp ever be topped?"  Sure....bacon or cheese is always a good topping! Maybe some tartar sauce or even cocktail sauce![:D][:D]  OUCH!

Glad they worked out.  I did some scallops and shrimp at the same time.    Very well received by my guests too!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

jaeger

SmokinMoe,

Congratulations on your great results!!!

Here's another idea for your tag line.

"Dinners ready when the smoke alarm goes off!!!" [:D][:D]

Doug

JJC

WTG, SmokinMoe!  Those S+S smoked shrimp and scallop recipes are fantastic! [:p]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

SmokinMoe

JJC, you inspired me to try the shrimp. My first try was ok, but I used the large shrimp. I think they were overdone and much more chewier than I was used to with shrimp.   Then, I re-read your post after my first try. I decided to try again using the medium shrimp with the jalepeno lime version at the last minute. I  thought they were the absolute best and don't think I could ever make them any other way.
Husband said I ruined him for shrimp anywhere at a restaurant or such.
He said they were the best.  I also through on some Vlasic stackers, zesty pepper rings on top of the shrimp and smoked them at the same time.  I had several comments on how good those were too.  I didn't try them, but two people loved them.  Might want to give those a try next time.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMoe</i>
<br />I didn't try them, but two people loved them.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Moe!!!!!

First rule of smokin' is the chef gets the best stuff! It's cloaked in a "quality control" robe.

When we do our big smokes, there's usually a venison backstrap, elk tenderloin, scallops, jumbo shrimp or something that just can't seem to make it's way to the serving table![;)][}:)][:p][8D]

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

SmokinMoe

First rule of smokin' is the chef gets the best stuff! It's cloaked in a "quality control" robe

I like that rule! In fact, I just instituted it into my my new cook's manual. I put it right after the first rule that says the cook can do no wrong.

Cold Smoke

<font face="Andale Mono"></font id="Andale Mono"><font size="6">Way to go, SmokinMoe!!!</font id="size6"><font color="purple"></font id="purple">

Glad to hear of your success- I have the weekend off and will search for a pile of shrimp to try now that you've had such good sucess.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I smoked some bacon over the top of shrimp. I used the S&S recipe for the lime jalenpeno shrimp and the one with the just olive oil, lemon juice and your fave rub.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I just love that book- just wish the boss would fire me so I could devote ALL my time to trying all their recipes....[;)]

Cold Smoke

JJC

Glad to be the one who piqued your interest in the shrimp . . . and extending the recipe to stackers/pepper rings sounds great--we're even! [:)][8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

gotbbq

JJC-

What book is referenceed for the smoked shrimp with bacon.  It sounds good.  Where is the recipe.  I'm up for shrimp.

Gotbbq[^][^][^]

SmokinMoe

Smoke & Spice by Bill and Cheryl Jamison.  You can find it on Amazon.com at a very reasonable rate.  I would buy the paperback version, take it down to OfficeMax and have them remove the spine/binding and make a spiral bound book.  That way, it will lay flat when you want to use.  
A must have.  I have not tried one recipe in that I didn't like.  So, well worth the money.
When's dinner?

JJC

Great idea on turning S+S into a spiral book, SmokinMoe [:D]

gotbbq, if you even think you might like scallops, give them a try in those S+S recipes.  They're fabulous, and I'm not usually a scallop lover . . . [:p]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

gotbbq

Moe-

I have smoke and spice and have made dozens of things from it.  Just never saw the shrimp. Thanks.  Also a great idea about the book binding.  Never heard of the service.  I guess for money you can get anything.

Gotbbq[^][^][^]

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMoe</i>
<br />take it down to OfficeMax....That way, it will lay flat when you want to use.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Hey, will they do that to my wife?[;)]

Just kidding![}:)][:D][:D][:D]

I even asked her before I posted if I could & she said it was funny.[8D]

Kirk