Canada Bacon

Started by Keymaster, October 08, 2011, 09:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chili Head

Wow that looks so good! Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

Looks good.

What I like to do is tie it up. This give it a more uniform shape and helps it to cook more evenly, though your's look evenly cooked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Keymaster

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 09, 2011, 02:08:25 AM
Looks good.

What I like to do is tie it up. This give it a more uniform shape and helps it to cook more evenly, though your's look evenly cooked.
Funny you say that, I had the string out and was going to tie it up because I wanted it round but just did not for some reason. Do you tie it up before curing or after? Thanks for all the nice compliments Everybody!!!!! ;D

SouthernSmoked

Key that all looks soooo good! Nice job!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

squirtthecat

Tenpoint5

That looks Really GOOD Aaron!!  If I tie mine I tie it before the curing process, while the meat is still flexible and hasn't stiffened up from the cures
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

I always tie it up after it is cured. If you tie up meat before curing, it may not cure at the areas that the string is placing pressure. But tying before smoking/cooking is optional.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

KyNola

Key, one comment about your temps and this is not intended as criticism so please dont take it as such.  You can pull the bacon out at around 140-145.  It will be a lot more tender and moist and will be fully cooked.  Even the FDA recently revised their safe temp guide for pork to 145.  If you pull it at 140 and foil it, the IT should cruise right on up to around 145.

Keymaster

Quote from: KyNola on October 10, 2011, 07:17:31 AM
Key, one comment about your temps and this is not intended as criticism so please dont take it as such.  You can pull the bacon out at around 140-145.  It will be a lot more tender and moist and will be fully cooked.  Even the FDA recently revised their safe temp guide for pork to 145.  If you pull it at 140 and foil it, the IT should cruise right on up to around 145.
Thanks Kynola, Next time I will do that. I was going off the cooking guideline from this dizzy pig recipe. http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBacon.html

Habanero Smoker

The below link will take you to a chart that gives both the USDA, and more commonly used and safe internal temperatures of meat, fish and poultry.

Internal Meat Temperatures

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Keymaster

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 10, 2011, 01:07:24 PM
The below link will take you to a chart that gives both the USDA, and more commonly used and safe internal temperatures of meat, fish and poultry.

Internal Meat Temperatures
Thanks, saved it to my desktop :)

Tenpoint5

Going to have to update the chart 145º is the new standard for whole muscle meat on pork. Ruhlman would even like to see it at 135º

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-05-24/health/chi-usda-changes-guidelines-for-cooking-pork-20110524_1_cooking-pork-pork-chops-national-pork-board
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Keymaster on October 08, 2011, 07:13:32 PM
The Finally ;) Best Dinner I had in a long time, Eggs Bennidict with Hash Browns Covered in Hollindaise sauce :o

My jaw just hit the floor.  ;D

Thats my favorite meal with CB!

I put the loins in a net and hang them, they stay round that way.  ;)

Flat or round.................Your CB looks GREAT!

Caneyscud

oh WOW!!!   I want a different breakfast.  That looks so decadent and deeeeeelicious!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"