Need Help/Suggestions with Cheddar Polish

Started by wischermit, February 17, 2010, 03:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wischermit

Yesterday was my first attempt @ making venison cheddar polish..My recipe sure needs tweaking because they came out too dry, but that can be fixed.. The smoking/cooking "recipe" that I was following said smoke for 80 min & then cook @ 170 degrees until the internal temp was 155..the Bradley Digital kept fluctuating from 150-170.. Is that normal?? I didn't think there were any drafts that would make that happen (smoker is inside a heated barn) & we never opened the door..  Any questions/suggestions would be more than welcome!! Thanks! :)

KevinG

Welcome wischermit. Yes temperature swings are normal, and that's why most who do sausages will buy the auber to tighten up the temp swings of the Bradley.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

wischermit

KevinG

Basically it's a programmable oven setpoint/timer. You can tell it to reach a certain temp and change the temp when it reaches the time or temperature you told it to do it in. That was worded poorly, but hopefully you get the picture. Example for the first hour set the temp at 150, the second hour 170, the third hour 180, etc. You can also have it keep the meat warm after it cooks.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

The temp swings will get smaller the closer the sausage gets to the cabnet set temp.

The Auber is a precise temp controller and if you have it set at 170 the cabnet will be + or - 1 deg. The one Kevin is talkin about is a programable one which will do the ramp for you.

The ramp is a way of cookin sausage with out over cookin the sausage which is called "fat out the sausage"

When doin sausage you should try to start out at 130 for an hr then ramp up the cabnet temp slowly as not to fat out the sausage and hold at no higher than 180 till the IT of the sausage hits 152 for at least 30 min or till the IT hits 153 then pull out and drop in a cooler full of ice water, this will stop the cookin, then when the IT is 100 pull out of the bath and hang at room temp to dry, bout an hr or 2. When doin the bath keep your temp prob away from the water cause if it gets wet it will fry the probe.

Also for a moist sausage the fat should be around 20 to 30 % fat.

Hope this helps.