Curing time question

Started by JDNC, October 22, 2009, 01:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDNC

I know this probably has been asked, but how can one determine how long to cure with dry-cure.  I would like to try (again), Hab's recipe for Canadian bacon using venison backstraps but I don't know how to figure curing times.  I've read that the curing time in days is determined by the thickness of the meat more or less but that's about it.  I also remember from one thread, that about 2 days/inch of meat was a good starting point.  Venison backstraps are not very thick..probably 2" thick and about 3" wide at the largest end and only about an 8" long section at this size.  Do you guys have any suggestions in reference to curing times?

JD

Habanero Smoker

For cuts of meat like loins or backstrap if you are using a dry cure start with 2 day's per inch. In your case it will be 4 days, but check it after 3. It should be firm in all areas. If you have to go a day or two longer that is not a problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

JD,
I made some VCB last year and it turned out Awfully good. I didn't use Habs recipe. I  kinda followed the directions from Morton's Salt which is:

Canadian Bacon     

Prep Time: 20 minutes; refrigerate 3-5 days
Servings: 1 pork loin, cut into 1/8 inch thick slices

Ingredients
1 boneless pork loin
1 tablespoon Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (Plain) mix per pound of loin
1 teaspoon sugar per pound of loin    

Directions
Trim fat from pork loin. Mix Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (Plain) mix and sugar. Rub mixture into the loin. Place loin in "food grade" plastic bag; tie open end. Refrigerate and allow to cure for 3-5 days. Remove from cure. Soak loin in cool water for 30 minutes; pat dry.

I added a splash of Maple syrup and used Brown sugar. I only let it cure for 3 days but will go for 4 days this year. I applied smoke and heated to 152* but got sidetracked and it went higher.
Here is the link to the thread I posted about it. VCB
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

JDNC

10.5, what temp should I smoke at?  Last year if you remember, I tried using Hab's "Basic Dry Cure" that I mixed up with some very old #1 cure and had a few problems.  This year I have fresh pink salt and will mix up new.  My brothers have backstraps that they want me to dry-cure and smoke..and I don't want to screw things up this time. ::)

Hab's..I really don't know how firm the meat should be after curing.  I guess I just check for soft spots, correct? If I find some add a day?  Should I turn the meat over daily?

Tenpoint5

I smoked mine at 225* and Yes I would suggest turning the meat daily. DO NOT discard any of the liquid that forms.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: JDNC on October 22, 2009, 02:31:54 PM
10.5, what temp should I smoke at?  Last year if you remember, I tried using Hab's "Basic Dry Cure" that I mixed up with some very old #1 cure and had a few problems.  This year I have fresh pink salt and will mix up new.  My brothers have backstraps that they want me to dry-cure and smoke..and I don't want to screw things up this time. ::)

Hab's..I really don't know how firm the meat should be after curing.  I guess I just check for soft spots, correct? If I find some add a day?  Should I turn the meat over daily?

Yes! Check for soft spots. Don't worry if you go an extra day or two. You can turn daily or every other day, and shake the bag to redistribute the cure. When it is fully cured, slice a piece off the end, fry it to test for saltiness. If it is too salty, you can soak it in cold water. I would use 30 soak, test and if still too salty give it another soak.

I recall your problem of last year. I don't believe it was because of the cure. If I recall, one section of one piece did not cure from the surface to the center. I still believe you had that part of the meat in a cold section, and the temperature of that section of meat got too cold. Once you get below 38°F, the curing process really slows down.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JDNC

Hab's..yeah that was strange.  The meat appeared to be cured in the center and not on the outside.  I did notice that my pink salt last year had lost it's color and had a strong smell and the new doesn't have the strong smell.  This cure was very old. I think your're right about the temp's.  I'm testing the fridge temps now.  I also want to try a deer ham but will probably try a brine with it.  I promise I'll take pic's this time.  It seems everytime I smoke I forget to take pictures.  You know.. I have a small freezer that I use for fermenting lager homebrew which has a digital temp-control.  I just may use it for curing as I know I can keep temps +/- 2*.

Habanero Smoker

The deer ham sounds interesting. The refrigerator you use for brewing should work well.  I'm sure many members would like to know how that comes out. As for pictures, I'm the same way.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

muzzletim

Sounds like a interesting project! Does it end up tasting like pork?

Tim
Tim

Tenpoint5

Quote from: muzzletim on October 23, 2009, 07:54:01 AM
Sounds like a interesting project! Does it end up tasting like pork?

Tim

Which one Tim the VCB or the Ham? The VCB has its own taste that is out of this world. I haven't got around to doing the Venison Ham thing yet but there is one in the freezer that needs to be done. I just need a new food grade bucket to brine in. Mine seemed to find its way into the yard via one of my yardapes and has been destroyed.

muzzletim

ten point,

I was wondering about the venison? If that is good it would be fun to try.

Tim
Tim

Tenpoint5

You will LOVE the Canadian Bacon from a backstrap! I plan on making VCB with the first 3 deer I get this year. I slice mine thin 1/16-1/8" and since it is fully cooked and cured i keep it in the fridge or freeze. The kids use it for snacks when they get home from school on a cracker with a slice of cheese, or just by itself.

muzzletim

Three deer!!!! I can't even draw for one in New Mexico!!!!! I had to settle for a Oryx this year, just as good! I will try this.

Tim
Tim

Tenpoint5

Tim I promise that since you don't get to draw for a deer this year. I wont tell you that my family usually eats 5-6 deer each year. With the times being the way they are this year and feeding a family of 6. I will probably try to boost that up to 7 or 8 unless I find a family that needs it more than we do then its theirs

muzzletim

That is the way it was in Minnesota when I lived there, we had deer year around with all kinds of walleye, crappie, sunfish and Northern Pike in between. I really miss those times! Well if times get to bad I can always move back!

Tim
Tim