About to purchase and need some help

Started by brewerpac, September 24, 2009, 08:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewerpac

Arnie,
Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I live in a state that has laws designed to protect liquor retailers and wholesalers and doesn't care so much about consumers. So, I can't have any ETOH of any kind shipped in. I'll just have to wait until I travel out that way or one of the liquor stores here starts carrying it. Fortunately, there are still many more whiskeys out there for me to try in the meantime.   ;D

brewerpac

Forgot to mention, my cold smoke adaptor just arrived yesterday thanks to Bryan who shipped it as soon as he received it at Y&P on Monday.
I picked up some Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar as well as their Pepper Jack to try out smoking some cheese this week.

ArnieM

Quote from: brewerpac on October 07, 2009, 05:13:27 PM
Arnie,
Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I live in a state that has laws designed to protect liquor retailers and wholesalers and doesn't care so much about consumers. So, I can't have any ETOH of any kind shipped in.

Well, I went part of the way through their checkout and they didn't seem to rule me out even though CT is a pretty stodgy state.  But, the booze was 44.66 and the least expensive shipping was 12.95, total of 57.61.  I guess you have to like the stuff.  I'll sniff around my local liquor stores.  If I find it at a reasonable price I'll send you a PM to see if you want it.  I'm sure I could wrap it up good and label it "Farm Machinery" like they do in China.  ;)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on October 07, 2009, 05:52:39 PM
Quote from: brewerpac on October 07, 2009, 05:13:27 PM
Arnie,
Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I live in a state that has laws designed to protect liquor retailers and wholesalers and doesn't care so much about consumers. So, I can't have any ETOH of any kind shipped in.

Well, I went part of the way through their checkout and they didn't seem to rule me out even though CT is a pretty stodgy state.  But, the booze was 44.66 and the least expensive shipping was 12.95, total of 57.61.  I guess you have to like the stuff.  I'll sniff around my local liquor stores.  If I find it at a reasonable price I'll send you a PM to see if you want it.  I'm sure I could wrap it up good and label it "Farm Machinery" like they do in China.  ;)

Or I can just swing by the store here, get one of everything, and label it "Ball Bearings" for massive Illinois export...   8)

brewerpac

OU812

I went looking for the rye whiskey and couldn't find eather the Pikesville or the Templeton but the store said they would order in some for me if I wanted.

I did find some George Dickel though, wow $40.00 for a 750 ml is a bit pricey.

I picked up another bottle of Gentleman Jack for $30.00 insted.

brewerpac

Was that the George Dickel Barrel Select?  My liquor store had that on sale at one point for $29 and I didn't pick up a botttle at the time and really kicked myself for not doing so.
The Geo. Dickel No. 12 goes for ~$20 and is still very nice- in fact with all of this whiskey talk, I had a small pour of it last night.  Evidently, it has really improved over where it was several years ago.

If you can't find the Pikseville rye, then I recommend Old Overholt (~$12), Jim Beam (~$14), Rittenhouse (~$18), Sazerac (~$23), and Wild Turkey (~$22), all good ryes at good prices that can be either mixed or had straight up or with a little ice.  The Rittenhouse, Sazerac, and Wild Turkey all produce older, more pricier ryes, but I think their basic versions can't be beat.

While I know that it may be nice to sip on a 23-yo whiskey that goes for over $150 a bottle, if you're a drinker on a budget like me, there's something particularly satisfying about having a whiskey that you love and that you only paid about $15 bucks a bottle for. It's even better when Jim Murray the whiskey guru scores your bargain whiskey a nice 92 out of 100 in his Whiskey Bible , higher than some of the high-priced boutique brands. 

OU812

The  George Dickel was select but, wow 40.00
Now that you mention it I did see the Old Overholt wasn't sure if I should buy as it was not on my list. I did see the Jim Beam Rye but didnt think about it as I dont care for Jim Beam to begin with. I didnt see any Wild Turkey Rye But I did see some Wild Turkey Honey that sounded good but I already had my Gentleman Jack in hand. I'm still open and will keep looking for as you stated
"A change of pace" in whiskey. I'll take a list of what you have posted and see what I can find. The old boys at the liquor store said that know one drinks Rye whiskey any more but could order some if I wanted.

Quarlow

Hey that Gentleman Jack was $39.00 here in canuck land. Of course we are more priveldged than you because our government beleives that if the tax us to death they will save on paying our pension and then they can hit us with the death tax. And that is on crap. >:( >:( >:(
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

Q, you think your government is taxing you to death. Try $51 for Jack Daniels for size. That is what we pay for it here in Jordan. I buy straight from the agent by the case and still would cost me $36 a bottle.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

brewerpac

OU812,

I bought the Wild Turkey Honey for my dad last year for Christmas and he loved it, said it was great after coming in from shoveling snow (he's 84, God bless him).  It's a liqueur that I think is only about 70 proof and is obviously a blending of Wild Turkey and honey.
His reviews on a Canadian whisky- and maple syrup-based liqueur were not quite as enthusiastic. I can't remember the name of that one, it was only a 375-mL bottle. He liked it, just not as much as the WT Honey. 
With the Wild Turkey Rye, which is 101 proof like the bourbon, I always find that I need a couple of ice cubes to really bring out the flavors and get past the ETOH heat, but that's just my preference.

Q and HR, ouch on those prices. When it comes to taxes, the thing that ticks me off the most as a cigar smoker is when the Feds raise the taxes on cigars then local and State governments move to severely limit where we can smoke them.  I respect the rights of nonsmokers not wanting to be around when eating, in the workplace, etc, but when it gets to the point that cigar bars can't even operate and then they go after smoking in tobacco shops and even people's apartments, I tend to get a little frustrated with lawmakers.  And this is coming from someone who works for a federal regulatory agency!

Okay, sorry, I'll get off my soap box now... :-X

OU812

Ok, brew, I still cant figure out what ETOH means.

I picked up a 1.75 liter JD black label for $46.00 last night, couldn't pass it by, it came with a stainless steal leather wrapped flask with the JD logo tooled in it.

I'm going on a mission tonight in Omaha to see if I can get some Rye Whiskey

Quarlow

Well BrewerPac you will love this one I just heard on the radio yesterday. A truckdriver in Ontario was pulled over and given a $300. fine for smoking in the workplace. It seems that a cop saw him smoking in the cab of his truck while going down the highway. Now in Canada they have band smoking in the workplace but that is stretching it to the limit.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on October 09, 2009, 11:53:52 AM
Ok, brew, I still cant figure out what ETOH means.

Abbreviation for ethanol alcohol.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KevinG

Quote from: Quarlow on October 09, 2009, 12:25:13 PM

Well BrewerPac you will love this one I just heard on the radio yesterday. A truckdriver in Ontario was pulled over and given a $300. fine for smoking in the workplace. It seems that a cop saw him smoking in the cab of his truck while going down the highway. Now in Canada they have band smoking in the workplace but that is stretching it to the limit.

I hope they don't expand that to smoke cookers!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG