Nola style cooking in Kentucky- Jan's Red beans and rice

Started by KyNola, October 11, 2009, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

The next edition of New Orleans style cooking in Kentucky, Jan's red beans and rice.

1 pound smoked sausage, spicy variety.  We use andouille. Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
1 1/2 cup chopped onions.
1 large bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup diced celery
1 clove crushed garlic
1/2 pound diced ham
2 cans hot chili beans
1/4 tsp each of fresh ground black pepper, thyme and basil
Hot sauce to taste

In a heavy pot, put a bit of oil and brown onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, sausage and ham over medium heat, about 10 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients and bring to the boiling point.  Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Serve over cooked rice.

KyNola

CRG, aren't you glad you went to the grocery for basil?

Stay tuned for the next edition of "New Orleans style cooking in Kentucky". 

Tenpoint5

These sure do sound good. Make sure you tell Miss Jan that I if not WE all really appreciate HER cooking Talents!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Me likes Red Beans and Rice.....you sure you don't have some cajun blood in you?

KyNola

No cajun blood in either of us.  Just love the food and lifestyle.  Thank you for the compliment.

KyNola

Next up in "New Orleans style cooking in Kentucky".  How ya'll feel about crawfish pie?

classicrockgriller

classicrockgriller

KN, I smoke two more Pizza on the traeger. These were fresh made store bought. I chopped up some Boudain and smoke with Oak. they were great. My wife, The pizza queen said they were great. while I was at it I smoke some all beef corn dogs. Man o man....

Today was veggie steamin day... 4 crowns of broccolli, 3 lbs of carrots, 3 lbs of green beans, 3 squash and 3 zuchinni. That will last us 1/2 week. We have all lost weight when we started steamin our veggies. Oh yes 6 ears of corn, then cut corn off cob.

Caneyscud

RB&R is good eats - no GREAT eats!  Wish the dish did not contain so many carbs.  Had to cut down.

Jan, you need another husband?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

CRG,
love me some boudain.  Sounds really good.

CS, my wife is diabetic so I understand the carb situation.  Serve the red beans over brown rice.  Much better for the carb situation.  Better yet, this is so good you can leave the rice out altogether.  You won't be disappointed with no rice.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

KN, I need to send you some copies of my Zydeco music, then you will be cooking.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: KyNola on October 11, 2009, 07:36:25 PM
No Cajun blood in either of us.  Just love the food and lifestyle.  Thank you for the compliment.

KyNola

If Jan keeps dishing out all them cajun recipes, you both are gonna end up with a pint or two in your veins.

HR

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

HR,
That would be OK with us.  Now I know you can get all of the ingredients for the red beans and rice recipe.  If you can't get canned chili beans, throw some other kind of canned bean in it and toss in a little extra black pepper and chili powder.

KyNola

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Ky,

on this one I have all the ingredients and I dont even have to go to the store. And guess what, I discovered by accident today a place that sells all cuts of fresh pork. The funny thing about this place that it is across the plaza from a supermarket that sells all sorts of American stuff that I have been shopping in for a year and I never noticed it. Strike one for old age.

I am planning your recipe for Thursday night.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

NePaSmoKer

Very nice Larry & Jan

I think we have coonass in us  ;D

nepas

KyNola

Takes one to know one NePaS. ;) I've seen that gumbo, red beans and rice, smoked andouille and tasso you make at home.  Seen you eating those crawfish in NOLA.

Dang I'm getting hungry!

KyNola

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on October 12, 2009, 10:17:17 AM
Takes one to know one NePaS. ;) I've seen that gumbo, red beans and rice, smoked andouille and tasso you make at home.  Seen you eating those crawfish in NOLA.

Dang I'm getting hungry!

KyNola

Now i just gotta say to the wife when we head down south next week, Hey how bout some big easy time  ;D

nepas