I've gone and done it!

Started by keeper U.K., November 03, 2010, 01:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keeper U.K.

Hi Everyone,
After having my Bradley Smoker since April I finally used it with your support. Now I have another question for you all, I brined my spatched chickens, I chose to dive right in and did 3 together, I dried them, rubbed them with a little oil, sprinkled them with a little chilli powder,ground ginger and garlic granules and rubbed it well in. I preheated the oven to 250F, I smoked with 1hr oak and 2hr apple, the temp went back up to 250F 2 1/2hrs into the process and the probe was showing an IT of 169F.
Should I have taken them out then or not? I left them in as I was afraid that they would not be cooked internally in 2 1/2hrs. I left them for another 1 1/2hrs (total 4hr) in this situation should I go by time or IT temp? If I go by IT temp would they be cooked inside.
They are very good to taste, maybe a little on the dry side but not enough to spoil them, just worried about pulling them too early.
Thanks again, will be cooking again shortly.

FLBentRider

I check the IT in multiple locations, and if it's done - it's done.

A visual check with a knife can't hurt either.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

beefmann

on poultry it should be 180. and  checking  with a knife is sound advice

FLBentRider

The USDA says chicken is done @165F - If you don't want to listen to them, do what you want.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

thirtydaZe

done all mine to 165, i'm still alive, and since i'm at work, i'm not sick.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

BuyLowSellHigh

165 °F ion the thick part of the breast, and at that time the thigh will usually be up to 180 °F.  Go longer and the breast tends to dry out.

So where are the pics?    ;)
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KyNola

These guys have set you straight on temp.  Habs taught me something else you might be interested in.  If you cut that chicken open after cooking and you see pink, dab it with a white paper towel.  If you see pink on the towel, it's not done.  If you don't see pink on the towel, you're good to go.

Thanks Habs, good info to have and I have used it more than once.

squirtthecat

Ditto/ditto/ditto.   Poultry white meat - 165° (I actually pull turkey breast roasts and the big split chicken breasts at 160°, foil and let rest a bit - they continue to cook) and you are good to go.

That's about 75% of what we eat here...   Still alive!

keeper U.K.

Hi, BLSH.
            Got the pics, if I ever figure  out how to down load them with a message I will  ??? ??? :).
     (need as much help with computer as I do with the smoker  :-[ :-[ any help)
Now on a more serious note ,coming into the shooting season in the UK, dos any one have any recipes for pheasants or rabbits. keen to get the smoker started up again.      Thanks to all,     Keeper UK.

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

hal4uk

I've had Squirt's turkey, and I ain't dead yet.
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

beefmann

i stand corrected ,, it is  165