Newbie in the UK

Started by surfer69, October 19, 2009, 05:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfer69

Hi All.

Got a OBS on order and can't wait.
Been smoking stuff via charcoal and gas for a while and can't wait for my unit to arrive.

Thinking of housing it in my garage with my gas grill.

If there are any UK users willing to share info specific to smoking food in the UK ( online shops, deals etc )  I'd be very grateful

Great forum and look forward to contributing.

Hopefull Romantic

Hi surfer69 and welcome to the forum. It is nice to have more smokers fro the UK

Here is a link for you and they have all their stuff at 20% off right now. Ask for Malcohm Barnett. That is who sold me mine.

http://www.anglingcentre.net/acatalog/bradley_smoker.html

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

3rensho

Surfer 69, welcome to the forum.

HR, thanks for the Angling Centre link.  Great price, at least for this neck of the woods.  Orderd four boxes of 120.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum surfer69!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Welcome to the fun surfer69

surfer69, I like that  ::)

manxman

Hi surfer69 and welcome to the forum. Nice to see more people on this side of the pond joining. Here are a couple of useful websites:

If and when you need spare parts, have any warranty issues or need any help:

http://www.bradleysmoker.co.uk/

http://shop.bradleysmoker.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=4&cat=Bradley+Smoker+Spare+Parts

Spices, accessories, making sausages, bacon etc:

http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/

http://www.sausagemaking.org/

I have dealt with Devon Angling before, had no problems and their prices are good at the moment.
Manxman

surfer69

Spookily my wife had already ordered my kit from Devon Angling !!!

She got me the generator but I was too impatient (and knew I'd never get round to buiding a smokehouse )
so I've returned it and got the whole kit.

Anyone know of a 'bubba puck' type thing in the UK ?

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: surfer69 on October 19, 2009, 10:13:07 AM

Anyone know of a 'bubba puck' type thing in the UK ?

Surfer69,

Unfortunately, I can report to you that when I purchased my smoker back in July, I looked high and low in the UK for those without even a shadow of cuccess. You will have to order them from the US and they are work it. In order to smoke some thing for an hour you would need 3 bradley brisquettes. In order to push the third one to the hot plate you need three more to do the job and hence they are wasted. So it would be worth the expense.

If I were you I would check out the new pucks one of the members is making. He is BigjohnT and I will try and find you the link. I believe they are much better and lighter than the Bubba's.

HR

LindaCC

Welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie here also however I'm a newbie to smoking as well. These guys/gals all helped me turn out amazing 1st 2 smokes. Now I'm going to tackle a turkey.

It was a big group effort.

manxman

QuoteAnyone know of a 'bubba puck' type thing in the UK ?

As far as I am aware they are not available in the UK as yet.

I got bubba pucks, the maverick dual probe remote thermometer and my auber PID add on temperature controller, which are all recommended add ons by our US and Canadian friends here on the forum, shipped in from the US.  :)

The auber is brilliant but not a necessity when starting out, if you can get hold of the bubba pucks and a maverick I would go for it. I would also recommend buying the more finely meshed jerky racks to replace the chrome plated ones that come with the BS. They are available in the UK. :)

It does get a bit frustrating sometimes when you look at the prices on this side of the pond compared to the US prices and also some of the accessories and recipes posted using ingredients not available over here but that's life!  ::)

Manxman

ArnieM

Hi surfer69 and welcome to the forum!

My son-in-law's parents were here from the UK a couple of weeks ago.  They live about 45 minutes outside of London.  This was their first ABTs and home smoked cheese.  They either liked it or were just being polite.  ;)

I don't use Bubba pucks - yet.  I just time the smoke cycle.  3 plus however are needed for the smoke.  For one hour, that would be six.  I put an hour on the kitchen timer.  When time is up, I push the last burned puck into the water bowl (using tongs) and remove the next in line before it gets burned.  Granted, it's not a set-it-and-forget-it solution but it has been working well.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

surfer69

Thanks for the warm welcome !!

I've just returned from Southern Florida, If only I knew of my excellent birthday present then, I could have stocked up !!!
Spent the time hunting out kettles and smokehouses though so I know what I'm up against !!

I've got some relatives coming over in Nov so maybe they'll be nice and bring me some goodies.
I'm gonna start with 3 bubba pucks and a wireless thermometer.

Just a quick heads up to those in the UK, I've just been to my local aldi and they have a whole pallet of either jim beam/jack daniels wood chips( I can't remember)
They're marked down from £1.99 to £1.49 a pack but I reckon they'll have to drop them more to shift them, so I'm biding my time !!!

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: surfer69 on October 19, 2009, 12:04:19 PM

Just a quick heads up to those in the UK, I've just been to my local aldi and they have a whole pallet of either jim beam/jack daniels wood chips( I can't remember)
They're marked down from £1.99 to £1.49 a pack but I reckon they'll have to drop them more to shift them, so I'm biding my time !!!

I think you mean Jim Bean and Not Jack Daniels if you were talking about Bradley Brisquettes. They Dont make them in JD GOD I WISH THEY HAD I WOULD SMOKE CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH THAT.

If you were talking about JB brisquettes at 1.49 pound /ack that is a very good price I am just not sure what you would smoke with that.

HR

ArnieM

Hmmm.  Put a JD bisquette into a pot of boiling water.  Put your head over it with a towel on your head.  Breathe deeply.  We might have a new product here that cures what ever ails ya  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: ArnieM on October 19, 2009, 12:37:56 PM
Hmmm.  Put a JD bisquette into a pot of boiling water.  Put your head over it with a towel on your head.  Breathe deeply.  We might have a new product here that cures what ever ails ya  ;D ;D

And if it doesnt, it wont hurt ya   ::) ;) ;D ;D

HR