How much smoke is enough...???

Started by icerat4, March 04, 2006, 07:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

I just thought id put this out here and get some opinions.I have done just about 4-41/2 hours of smoke on the stuff i smoke and that seemed to be enough with out an overpowering taste.Mind you there was approx 7 lbs of stuff .Is there a guide line or some smoke scale to keep the amount of smoke in food at a certian time level for all different tpyes of meat.Someone please enlighten me in the amount of smoke per pound in meats to help me better my results.Not that my results have been bad i just wanted to see if i could better them. thanks in advance.The rat.[:D][:p]

IKnowWood

IceRat

There is no formula.  Everyone has a different taste trend and preferrence and tollerance for Smoke.  Its just like Chile spiced stuff, the receptors for different people give a different response and ideal range.

Since you are doing 4 to 4 1/2 on stuff now, you are likely in the upper mid levels of ideal range for taste.  The trick in feeding others is what is a good average.  If you do not really know the people, stick to the 3 to 4 hour range.  But again, it also depends on what you are cooking, how its spiced and what you want to end up with.

Sorry, not an easy question
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

icerat4

OK Thanks.good answer BUT,Not quite the answer im looking for.I understand the taste bud theory and the concept of individual prefrence in tasting food. Anyone here with a basic guide line on the amount in the medium rage of smoke.Nobody likes eating ashes.And not enough is just too say i just cooked it with no smoke dosent cut it..Come on you old timers have got this down to a tee.7lbs at 4=5 hours just enough or 6-8 hours at a lower temps is too much on the same piece of meat.The recipe sight is great.Butt i think  a room where more info is on watching the food as it moves along the cooking part is needed.The real pros always watch what there doing and watching the product as its cooking,to see how things are progressing is a job done well.How much smoke is really needed per pound.Thanks[?]

nsxbill

I apply smoke as follows:

Pork and beef what ever cut <font size="4">  4hrs</font id="size4">.  I like oak, pecan and mesquite.

Fowl <font size="4">  2hrs</font id="size4">  Pecan

Salmon <font size="4">2 hrs</font id="size4">.  Alder or Oak

Shrimp <font size="4">2 hrs</font id="size4">.  Alder or Oak

Atomic Buffalo Turds:  <font size="4">1-2 hrs</font id="size4">.

Most meat won't take smoke after 130°F, so anymore is just a waste to me.  I don't like the taste of ash!  

<i><font size="4">Works for me!</font id="size4"></i>

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Most meat won't take smoke after 130°F, so anymore is just a waste to me.  I don't like the taste of ash!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Bill,

I've also seen it posted here a few other times that meat won't take smoke after 140. I've always been curious as to where this information came from originally. Is this opinion, or is there data that backs this up. It's not that I agree or disagree with this, just looking for a little clarification.

Thanks

Bubbagump

nsxbill

I think I read it in Paul Kirk book or Smoke and Spice.  It makes sense, in that the outer surface of the meat seals as it cooks, and once that seal is made, any more application of smoke is a moot point.  I am not the author of this opinion, but have heard it so much, I tend to believe it and agree with it.

I know the first time I did ribs, a rookie, I smoked through the entire time they were in the smoker...They were terrible, and I was watching the temp pretty vigilantly.  The only time they actually were tasty was about a week later.  

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />I know the first time I did ribs, a rookie, I smoked through the entire time they were in the smoker...They were terrible, and I was watching the temp pretty vigilantly.  The only time they actually were tasty was about a week later.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks, Bill, but it seems obvious to me based on your first experience with ribs, albeit bad, that meat will take on more smoke after the outer surface seals.

What's also interesting is that I've seen others post that when making jerky you should dry it out first at low heat before applying smoke because smoke doesn't take well to moist meat. This appears to be in direct contrast to the theory that you have read.

After thinking this through (sorry, it's snowing here so I don't have anything better to do) I tend to agree with IKW, in that it is all about personal preference. There are too many variables involved. And the biggest variable being personal preference.

So if you're looking for a "cookie cutter" approach to smoking, Icerat, I don't think you'll find it. It's all about experimenting and finding what you and others like. Actually that's half the fun!

Bubbagump

icerat4

Thanks guys.I will take any info i can to help along your points of views are well taken.Thanks once again.THE RAT.[8D]

Habanero Smoker

I believe that baselines are important place to start, and with the Bradley; that produces smoke at a consistent rate that can be measured accurately, then baselines are even more important. After getting your baseline then you can adjust your smoke to how much you want to. The times Bill has provided are about what I use and they are a good place to start.

There is a difference between smoke penetration, and smoke adhesion. When smoke penetrates the meat there is further chemical reaction with the proteins, producing a unique flavor. When the meat surface reaches a certain temperature (140 F. seem to be that temp.), smoke will no longer penetrate, but it can still adhere to the surface, which to me does not improve flavor. The hotter the surface, the less the smoke is able to adhere.

With something like a pork butt you may be able to get away with over smoking, but something like ribs, fish filets or other thin cuts of meat the surface ratio is much greater than the mass. So applying the smoke too long to these cuts of meat will leave you with an overpowering smoke flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

IKnowWood

HS, this theory is sound.  Compare the process with Cheese when cold smoking.  The emor dense the cheese is, the more adherance is has and less penetration.  Since its cold smoking, most of the reaction is at the surface.  While less dense cheese does not adhere as much and penetrates.  

But since the compoennts in cheese react much differently.  This leads easily to Ash Cheese creation.  

Hmm.   interesting discussion.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />There is a difference between smoke penetration, and smoke adhesion. When smoke penetrates the meat there is further chemical reaction with the proteins, producing a unique flavor. When the meat surface reaches a certain temperature (140 F. seem to be that temp.), smoke will no longer penetrate, but it can still adhere to the surface, which to me does not improve flavor. The hotter the surface, the less the smoke is able to adhere.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
HS - Good information, thanks for posting. [:)]

Bubbagump