Not burning all the way!

Started by mski, January 31, 2010, 03:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mski

Hi, new here,
I dove in and got a smoke generator and cold adapter for my home built smoker.
I used to use a cast iron dutch oven with a lid and hose going to the smoker, worked great but alot of tending especially if I needed a thin smoke.
After 2 uses My findings
The Good;
1. perfect even smoke, (low heat) gonna be great for fermented sausages.
2. Cheap if I buy right and considering the not needed labor of watching tending watching tending.
3. Any wood I could think of is availabe.
The bad
1. a few things I heavy smoke for a short time, 1 hour, dont think this will do it. (given credit it is a cold smoker)
2. have to buy more Beer, more time on my hands.
3. The BIG question, the biskits don't burn all the way, I preheat but only about 80% burn, I seen posts that this is because of no heat from the smoker to help.
I do get 20 min of smoke minus  the new one starting but seems a waste.
What I was thinking is just let the spent biskit drop into a dry pan and let it burn out, being that it would not be heated after it was out it wouldn't create foul bitter smoke.

Thanks
Mark
;D And a big Kudos to Yard and Pool and Meat Processing Products, thanks to you all I found these wounderfull vendors, they are great!!!!!

Waltz

Hi Mark,
I am a Newbie to Bradley smoking also but have done a few hot and cold smokes in mine now.  The bisquettes do seem to burn slightly less when cold smoking and I have read that is due to the lack of heat from the element in the smoke tower, which seems reasonable.  But the bisquettes never burn to an ash even when they are fully used, they just go black all the way through so if you are expecting ash, it won't happen unless a bisquette gets stuck on the burner.

Waltz

RAF128

Mine don't burn all the way either and it's been reported here several times by others.   I original works fine but not the digital.    I was on the phone the other morning with bradley ordering a part and asked this question.    The answer was prewarm the generator.   I do that.   She told me to check the burn, heat it up and put a few drops of water on it.   If it sizzles, it's hot enough.   Mine does that but my bisquettes still don't burn completely.   I think it's a condition we'll have to accept and live with.

ArnieM

I've seen the same problem, even with the SG directly attached to the cabinet (no cabinet heat) in colder weather.

"I think it's a condition we'll have to accept and live with."

I don't.  I remove the 'V' tray.  It's not needed during a cold smoke and gives me better access to the hot plate.  I preheat the SG and put a bisquette on using kitchen tongs.  Set the kitchen timer for 30 minutes.  Go out, knock off the spent bisquette with the tongs and place on a new one.  Rinse and repeat as required.

It's a little more labor intensive but burns the bisquettes all the way.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

RAF128

I think most bought the Bradley to save on labor.    I don't like opening the door too often either.   You lose heat and smoke.   I read a quote here when I first joined.   I'm sorry I don't remember who said it but it applies IMO.   "If you're lookin' it ain't cookin' ".  Anyway, I'm going to accept it and carry on.   Other than wasting a little wood the smoker works great.