Cold smoke adaptor - simplest?

Started by gbritten_nh, March 22, 2011, 02:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbritten_nh

Any forum thoughts on the simplest way to do a cold smoke adapter for an OBS?

I am thinking of doing a prototype with a cardboard box and a dryer duct, I realize the box will not really stand up over time.

Mind you, I live in New Hampshire, so right now I do not need the adapter, but as the season warms (which, hopefully, it will ;D) the adapter will become necessary.  I successfully smoked some cheese this weekend only using some ice in the cabinet, no adapter, and the temp did not get too warm.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Quarlow

Here is the one I made. Works great. With the fishlock collars you don't need an adapter plate.   
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3263.msg127846#msg127846
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

gbritten_nh

Cats always at least pretend to keep their dignity!

Did the box hold up for several uses?

Quarlow

I am still using it. And hell, it is easy to get another box. Monday morning at the liquor store gets er' done.  ;D

OBS
BBQ

gbritten_nh

Thanks for you help, I had seen another easy smoke adapter on the site using a mailbox, but yours looks easier.

Quarlow

Yeah those collars fit in the smoker opening real nice. And if you cut a good hole in the box you don't need to tape it. I hit it right the first shot.

OBS
BBQ

gbritten_nh

One thing I am not clear on, there is a collar on each end of the dryer hose, or is there a different connection between the dryer hose and the smoke chamber?  Maybe I am being too literal, but you said you bought a collar, but would that mean you need to buy 2?

Thanks for you help, I will probably build this tomorrow

3rensho

My cardboard box and aluminum dryer hose are still going strong after 3.5+ years.  No collars, no nothin'.  Just a box with two holes.  When/if this one goes kaput I'll just get another box.  Works great.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Quarlow

It has been awhile since I used it. I bought 2 collars but I seem to remember only using the one on the box. It made it real easy to attach the pipe to the box. I have seen others all duct taped to the box and it seems a little dicey. And I think the other end of the pipe just fit right in the tower nicely.

OBS
BBQ

gbritten_nh

The collar on the box seems a good idea, but I think just sticking the duct in the chamber should work fine, as others have said, there is plenty of smoke and I wont be opening it up to cool it down anymore, so who cares if a little leaks.

Quarlow

Yeah the pipe just stuck in actually seals well. Good luck.

OBS
BBQ

gbritten_nh

Did either of you guys do a burn-in once it was put together?  I started mine up about 1/2 hour ago, plan on it running an hour then putting another batch of cheese in (it is 32 F, 0C here right now, so the adapter is hardly necessary, but I don't want to mess with ice either, so since I have it I will use it.  I will have pics of my box once the cheese is done and I download all the pics from the camera.

Quarlow

No I did not do a burn in. I just used it.

OBS
BBQ

gbritten_nh

Here are a couple of pics of my adapter, thanks to Quarlow for the method.  I had to use tape to attach the flex hose to the collar, it would not stay on it's own.  The aluminum tape I had left over from another project.