Smoker MUST be on for Oven to be on?

Started by tmo1138, June 09, 2013, 02:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmo1138

Hello,

I'm using my Bradley Smoker (BTDS76JB) for the first time today.  I noticed something interesting that I wanted to ask about and verify.

When I was done smoking the a brisket (I was only smoking for the first 6 hours of a 9 hour cooking time) I realized (quickly thank god) that the oven wouldn't stay on unless the smoker was on, also - even if I'm not burning any more bisquettes.  I can certainly run the smoker *without* the oven being switched on, but not the other way.

Is this the standard behavior?  RTFM'ing didn't give me a clear indication of that.

Thanks much.

beefmann

i do not own a digital smoker though it is my understanding that the controls operate the smoke generator and cabinet separately so yes you  should be able to control them  separately

However i will let the people that  own digital smokers give you  the information

Indy Smoker

I have a 4 rack digital and this is not normal behavior. The smoke generator should be able to be controlled separately from the heater at all times. Are your connections on the rear of the smoke generator set correct ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmo1138

Quote from: Indy Smoker on June 09, 2013, 04:27:08 PM
I have a 4 rack digital and this is not normal behavior. The smoke generator should be able to be controlled separately from the heater at all times. Are your connections on the rear of the smoke generator set correct ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just double-checked.  Everything appears to be fine.. the sensor cable is hard to screw up, and the electrical cables all hooked up according to the diagram.

And I can set the temperature of the heater no problem.  But if I press "On/Off Smoker" and turn the smoker off the animated flame logo display turns off and the heater appears to stop.. heating up.

Other than that everything works as I would have expected...

tmo1138

UPDATE:  Ok.. after tinkering a bit.. I'm not sure what happened before.. but the oven is definitely working independently of the smoker.  I'll keep an eye on it and let you all know if I see something else weird happen.  Thanks for the quick reply!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: tmo1138 on June 09, 2013, 05:17:36 PM
UPDATE:  Ok.. after tinkering a bit.. I'm not sure what happened before.. but the oven is definitely working independently of the smoker.  I'll keep an eye on it and let you all know if I see something else weird happen.  Thanks for the quick reply!
Good to hear! Sure it wasn't too many barley pops that may have led too operator blurred vision on the first cook? ;D ;D I know that has happened here on a few cooks
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

tmo1138

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 10, 2013, 06:12:52 AM
Quote from: tmo1138 on June 09, 2013, 05:17:36 PM
Good to hear! Sure it wasn't too many barley pops that may have led too operator blurred vision on the first cook? ;D ;D I know that has happened here on a few cooks

Actually I'm not a drinker, but it could still have been operator error... New toy and all.. :)

Angus

I had the element on without the smoker and it did not heat up. Turned on smoker and the heating element kicked in.

beefmann

Midnight Smoker

I have had that exact problem, RANDOMLY, no explanation or rhyme or reason.  It happens about 1 out of 20 smokes.  Very strange, smoker is now over 3 years old, only real failure was 1 element about 10 months ago. I always run a Maverick so if cab temp drops I get an alarm but I usually just watch it closely right after I turn off the generator....