high temp, unit smoking empty

Started by buttburner, February 02, 2013, 04:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttburner

hey guys could use a little advice

I have a PID controller, dual heat element unit

I have a chicken recipe that calls for a pit temp of 300f

I have only ran it up to 275f for chicken wings. 300f seems a little hot to me so I decided to run it empty to temp first to see what it does

The thing is smoking like crazy, I am sure its just burning off residue on the walls.

So I am thinking to just run it at this temp until the smoke clears (for the most part)

Or, I am sure I can do the cook at 275f , probably a better idea anyway.

Anyone run into this? what did you do? I dont want to put the chicken in the smoker with it the way it is, I have all day to deal with the issue before I cook

thanks

GusRobin

I would also worry about when the over temp switch kicks off. I would smoke at 250* or so and then finish in the oven.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

buttburner

the thermal limiter switch was changed out with a higher one due to the dual element mod

there are threads about it someplace.

I am just burning off the residue.

If I am not comfortable with that I have a more capable smoker that will do the job

thanks

buttburner

actually the smoke has cleared. Took about an hour

I think its a good way to clean up the smoker every now and then

thanks

GusRobin

Quote from: buttburner on February 02, 2013, 10:50:51 AM

thanks
I never clean mine except for the racks, Vtray and the water pan. The rest is seasoning. If it starts to flake in the cabinet, just rub with newspaper.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

buttburner

Quote from: GusRobin on February 02, 2013, 11:23:31 AM
Quote from: buttburner on February 02, 2013, 10:50:51 AM

thanks
I never clean mine except for the racks, Vtray and the water pan. The rest is seasoning. If it starts to flake in the cabinet, just rub with newspaper.

yeah, I understand that. I have owned this smoker for at least 5 years, I am no newbie.

Wildcat

I am no expert but my concern would be that Bradley saw fit to limit the amount of heat with a thermal limiter for a good reason.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Quote from: Wildcat on February 02, 2013, 12:40:12 PM
I am no expert but my concern would be that Bradley saw fit to limit the amount of heat with a thermal limiter for a good reason.
Ditto.

buttburner

Quote from: KyNola on February 02, 2013, 12:57:28 PM
Quote from: Wildcat on February 02, 2013, 12:40:12 PM
Ditto.

well...I found this mod and others on this site

if they are unsafe you should take them down.

GusRobin

these mods were done by users and are not sanctioned by Bradley. I think the mod that is posted in the recipe section recommends putting it in. Do you need to put the sensor - no, Is it safer, yes. Do I care if you do it - no.

buttburner

Quote from: GusRobin on February 02, 2013, 01:32:03 PM
these mods were done by users and are not sanctioned by Bradley. I think the mod that is posted in the recipe section recommends putting it in. Do you need to put the sensor - no, Is it safer, yes. Do I care if you do it - no.

hmmm ok

all I asked is a simple question.

I got responses that did not answer it. Not one.

Now I get rude responses.

thanks for your time

RedJada

Just my opinion, but if your running at 275-300 degrees your not smoking, your cooking and your just wasting your time. Just use your oven for this. Smoking is an art/skill, the longer the better. Low and slow brings out the the tenderness and flavor, infuse that with some smoke and you end up with some great moist, tender tasting meat. My Bradly has never been over 225 degrees. Running at 208 right now with a whole chicken. Going to be some good bird right there. The theory behind the duel element mod is for quicker heat recovery, that's it.

Wildcat

Quote from: buttburner on February 02, 2013, 01:37:19 PM
Quote from: GusRobin on February 02, 2013, 01:32:03 PM

hmmm ok

all I asked is a simple question.

I got responses that did not answer it. Not one.

Now I get rude responses.

thanks for your time

Sorry about not directly answering your questions. My response is that I do not know. When I want to cook at those temperatures I move to one of the grills or the indoor stove. Since I did not know the answer and had some concerns with safety issues, I only addressed that point. Never meant to be rude. With regard to others, sometimes curt responses solicits rude responses.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/