Favorite Maple Sausage Recipes?

Started by waycoolcat, October 12, 2014, 11:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waycoolcat

I'd like to make up some breakfast maple sausage patties. I searched the forum and found one from WoodlawnSmoker. I also looked at the Susan Minor recipe site and couldn't find any. Does anyone have a favorite to share?
I want to be a better carnivore!

WoodlawnSmoker

I was hoping for some contributions, I love breakfast sausage.  The Kutas recipe I used with added maple syrup is pretty good, next time I will cut back on the salt just a bit.

I do want to try some smoked Scotch eggs though next time I do some breakfast sausage, they look great.

waycoolcat

WoodlawnSmoker I would have made your posted recipe, but didn't have soy protein on hand. I found a similar recipe on all recipes.com and adapted it a bit for my taste. I felt they turned out very good with a nice balance of seasoning and maple syrup. Here's what I made this morning:

Maple Breakfast Sausage

8 pounds pork butt cubed
1 1/2 Tablespoons dry sage
3 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons fennel seed, plus 1 1/2 Teaspoons
1 1/2 Teaspoons red pepper flakes
2 Tablespoons garlic powder, plus 1 1/2 Teaspoons
2 Tablespoons onion powder, plus 1 1/2Teaspoons

I cubed the pork and mixed in the seasonings the night before.

I ground the mixture at a small grind, and then mixed in the real maple syrup.
3/4 cup maple syrup.

After pan frying a few to sample, I'm going to oven bake them until they are cooked then vac seal and freeze them so they are quick in the morning to just brown and serve.

I'd still like to hear if someone else has a different recipe they would like to share.
I want to be a better carnivore!

ragweed

We've never done the maple syrup thing, YET, but here's my Dad's recipe for breakfast sausage.

2 1/2 lbs pork butt, ground coarse, then fine
3 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
3/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp savory

grind spices then add to meat, mix, grind fine again.  Package and freeze after an overnight in the frig.

TMB

Bookmarked for both recipes

Thanks!!
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!