Need help with Brisket

Started by MoHuka, January 02, 2014, 07:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoHuka

OK, just finished my 3rd brisket.  The first one I ran out of time and pulled at 170 and it was ok but not brisket texture..the 2nd one I think I trimmed off too much fat and it was dried out on the edges.  This one I gave a dry rub, wrapped on plastic overnight....molasses and more rub and into the smoker with 4 hours of mesquite and a temp of 225.  I have an extra 500w element and a PID.  I monitored oven with a 732, 733 and an analog oven thermometer.  My target temp was 190.  I finally pulled this morning after 42 hours and an IT of 187.  I had all 3 meat probes in the thin end of the flat.  About half the flat is dried beyond edible and as you get closer to the point I think we can actually eat it. 

My last smoke was 2 Butts that I finally took out after 30 hours and an IT of 174..it pulled great..

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.  I am running with vent wide open and water in the bowl (9 x 13 pan)
MoSmoker

Tenpoint5

Is you brisket select or choice? If select I would try injecting.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

MoHuka

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 02, 2014, 07:41:39 AM
I bought it at Sam's and honestly did not notice what grade it was....guess I need to start paying attention to that
MoSmoker

GusRobin

How were you taking the temps of the cabinet?
how big was the brisket? 40 hrs seems like an awful long time. I have done 2 8lb butts and 1 15lb brisket at the same time and they took about 25 hours at the most.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Saber 4

Quote from: MoHuka on January 02, 2014, 08:00:40 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 02, 2014, 07:41:39 AM
I bought it at Sam's and honestly did not notice what grade it was....guess I need to start paying attention to that

I've found that I have to be careful getting brisket at Sam's, most of the time they seem to be select and only occasionally do ours carry choice even though all their other meats are choice.

MoHuka

Quote from: GusRobin on January 02, 2014, 08:34:56 AM
How were you taking the temps of the cabinet?
how big was the brisket? 40 hrs seems like an awful long time. I have done 2 8lb butts and 1 15lb brisket at the same time and they took about 25 hours at the most.
I had a tray 1 level under the meat and all 4 probes/thermometers on that tray
MoSmoker

STLstyle

By tray do you mean rack?  42 hours is too long for 1 brisket regardless of weight.  Temp must have been under 225 or it should have finished much sooner IMO.

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

MoHuka

Quote from: STLstyle on January 02, 2014, 04:38:45 PM
By tray do you mean rack?  42 hours is too long for 1 brisket regardless of weight.  Temp must have been under 225 or it should have finished much sooner IMO.
Yes Rack...I had 3 digital and 1 analog reading a solid 225 through the entire process..
MoSmoker

STLstyle

Mohuka,
I'm interested if others have had your experience but I've cooked many briskets none taking anywhere close to that long.  The reason I asked about the rack is because I thought you may have had an obstruction deflecting heat back down in the tower.  I get as much as a 30 degree difference in my 6 rack from bottom to top rack.  It tends to even out over the cook as the load heats up.

Maybe Pachanga will be by shortly...  Always enjoy his take and he cooks 4+ Packers at a time. 

Good luck!

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

MoHuka

Quote from: STLstyle on January 03, 2014, 06:12:49 AM
Mohuka,
I'm interested if others have had your experience but I've cooked many briskets none taking anywhere close to that long.  The reason I asked about the rack is because I thought you may have had an obstruction deflecting heat back down in the tower.  I get as much as a 30 degree difference in my 6 rack from bottom to top rack.  It tends to even out over the cook as the load heats up.

Maybe Pachanga will be by shortly...  Always enjoy his take and he cooks 4+ Packers at a time. 

Good luck!
I went back and read Pachanga's tutorial after the fact and was reminded that he does not recommend cooking to an IT but to doneness based on feel of a probe being inserted.  I am sure if he comes on that is what he will tell me..and correctly so. We ate from the middle of it last night and my wife said it was the best brisket she has ever eaten..it was just all dried out on the thin end...
MoSmoker