RE: Maverick-73 Problems

Started by eddieo, January 16, 2009, 05:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddieo

Hi Everyone,

This post is related to the original "Maverick-73 Problems" thread at: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7594.0

Anyway, over the holidays I smoked a couple bone-in turkey breasts (thanks for the recipe Bassman, http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131 - they came out GREAT!) and wanted to crisp up the skin a little so I decided to finish in the grill.  I moved the whole rack to the grill with both temp probes; everything was going well, monitoring temp and such.  Then, about five minutes into it the temp readings were going crazy with an occasional HHH reading.  I then noticed the probe wires were very stiff and not flexible, and when I manually wiggled/bend them back and forth to loosen, my temp readings came back to normal.  (This stiff section was in the grill.)  Subsequent use of the Maverick; problem worsened.  I logged on today, in an attempt to find a solution/purchase replacement probes and learned that there is a high temp food probe, then the bell rang...  High temp in the grill damaged/melted something within the SS wire cover?  I ordered replacement probes with the food probe being "High Temp".  Wondering if any of you know if what happened to my probes was actually related to high heat?  I don't want to make the same mistake.

Thanks, Eddie

dick621

Hello Eddie,  I had the same thing happen to mine.  Bought the hi temp probes and no more problem.  Dont use them on the grill, but no problem in the big easy. Dick
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Consiglieri

I'm speaking from experience:  HHH is a fried probe.  The standard probe has a certain heat threshold.  I was finishing a prime rib at around 400F or so when the magic letters appeared.  According to the manual: "Do not use the stainless steel sensor probe above 410F.  Doing so will deteriorate the wire."

I wish they would have put that at the top of the page in big letters.   :P

Consiglieri

deb415611

Quote from: Consiglieri on January 17, 2009, 04:51:27 AM

I wish they would have put that at the top of the page in big letters.   :P

But Consigs you would have to read the manual to see this ;)

I have fried probes in my grill as well......