Who used Ginger?

Started by bunnydude, June 16, 2007, 06:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunnydude

I cant remember who said they were going to use ginger in their next canadian bacon?

I am curious if they did it and how it turned out. :)

West Coast Kansan

HabSmoker was going to do it.  ??? Sounds like a interesting idea  ??? a problem?

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

bunnydude

No! there is no problem I was just wondering if he has finished it yet and if so if he liked the results.

I use ginger in almost allfoods I cook bake or smoke it just seams to take the other flavors to a new level. ;D

Gizmo

Ginger went into the salmon brine.  Should be a good little addition.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Bunnydude originally used ginger in his Canadian bacon cure. He had good results so I though I would give it a try. I smoked the Canadian bacon on Friday, and I haven't tested it yet. I always like to tightly wrap it in plastic wrap and let it mellow out a few days.  I may be testing some either this evening or tomorrow.

I may have to get an independent opinion on how it turned out. My allergies have been acting up for the past few days, and they continue to do so. When that happens, my allergy medication and sinuses really throw my sense of taste way off.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

I finally got a chance to taste the Canadian bacon that I smoked on Friday. Bunnydude was right about the ginger. It does give the bacon a nice flavor, so I will definitely do this again for some of the loins that I cure. I used 1/2 tsp./lb., but I think I will up it to 3/4 tsp/lb. next time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

HCT

Question about the ginger. Did you use fresh or powdered? Sounds like fresh but just want to be sure. TIA
Mike
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

I used powdered ginger. If you do you fresh (which has a better flavor) you will have to find a way to heat the ginger to a point to kill the enzymes, or you meat will get mushy. I know how to do this if you use ginger (pineapple, papayas etc) in a brine or marinade, but I wouldn't know how to do it in a dry cure, without drying the ginger first. In brine or marinades, prior to using bring the temperature up to 185°F, then allow it to cool prior to using.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

HCT

Thanks Habs, I had no idea fresh ginger would do that. I guess tossing the fresh ginger in the dehydrator would do the job. I'll prolly dehydrate it in 1-2 inch chunks.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

icerat4

I dont know about ginger.But that mary ann was a hotie.Lol wheres the professor. :P ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

PigOut

I'm for Maryann myself. ;D

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

When Pigs fly around here,there's a trail of smoke comin from em !!

West Coast Kansan

HabS how would you describe the flavor (tastes like ginger is not allowed) wondering about the change compared to what you regularly do  ???

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Mainly I will be staying with my original recipe, but this is a very nice addition and one I will use again.

It's hard to describe without using ginger as a baseline. Because of the amount I used, my Canadian bacon had a very mild taste; just a hint of ginger. Not spicy and it blended well with the other flavors. The next time you make Canadian bacon, use part of the loin and add ginger to the cure. The last time I used 1/2 teaspoon/pound; I may up the amount to 3/4 to 1 teaspoon/pound next time I make some Canadian bacon to see what the ginger will do with the final flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Stickbowcrafter

Oldman

I would never have thought about ginger with bacon.  I use it with Terikyaci sauce and Dry Vermouth for a marinade that I use on chicken and sirloin steak when grilling them over oak wood.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!