Favorite Beverage to accompany a smoked meal?

Started by Malc, October 09, 2006, 09:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

Obvious answer here is beer, but what kind, and what do you pair with what food?

Sam Addams for me is the norm.
Their Oktoberfest goes great with pork.
Goose Island IPA is a good one for chicken, especially if the seasoning or sauce is spicy.
Great Lakes Brewing out of Cleveland makes a pale ale called Burning River that is just awesome with anything.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

MWS

I like a good stout or porter with smoked salmon chowder.  :P
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

icerat4

Henikens, or a german wiess beer.With a lemon on top.No hard stuff i get to crazy with that stuff. :P

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Habanero Smoker

Samuel Adams Larger is a good choice, if you get a chance to try the white ale, do so.

My main choice is Molson's Ice, or Golden.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

coyote

Hab,
     I believe the answer is clear. I put the meat on the table...
                                             the neighbor can bring the beer.
                                             And it better be good ! Molson's Ice would do
                                             Real nice.

Coyote

tsquared

I go to a u-brew place here in Victoria that uses recipes right from the barley--my current favourite is a double hopped IPA that brought tears to my eyes today when I paired it with some cold-smoked spring salmon just before the main course of the Thanksgiving turkey. It's a tough life... ;D
T2

Bassman

We're on a Labatts Blue kick with an exceptional Fraziskaner. Either one goes with anything :P
Jack

jimguy

Since pulled pork and pork ribs came to us from our friends in the southeast US, I like to have a glass of lemonade fortified with a healthy shot of Jack Daniels. The commercial "Lynchburg Lemonade" doesn't cut it.

Budweiser is the brew of choice for all other smoked foods.

iceman

I think the best beer I've had recently is Saison Dupont (Belgian).
Nice crisp hop/fruit flavor, frothy head, and clean after taste that clears the palate well so your ready for your next bite of Q. ;D
This doesn't mean I'm pitching the rum and coke or the local brews though. :D

asa

Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Malc

Hab, I have had the White Ale.  They don't make a beer I don't like.  Black Lager is awesome.  I am going to Boston and Vermont this weekend, so I hope to get a few of the lesser available styles while I am there.  I also may stop by the Harpoon Brewery.  They make some great stuff.

Malc

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Malc on October 11, 2006, 05:39:56 AM
Hab, I have had the White Ale.  They don't make a beer I don't like.  Black Lager is awesome.  I am going to Boston and Vermont this weekend, so I hope to get a few of the lesser available styles while I am there.  I also may stop by the Harpoon Brewery.  They make some great stuff.

Malc
I'm in New York near the Mass. line, and there is often a wide variety of Samuel Adams for me to choose from. You picked a good time of year. Around this time of year, they brew a lot of ales that are seasonal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Malc

QuoteYou picked a good time of year. Around this time of year, they brew a lot of ales that are seasonal.
I just got back.  I had a lot of Sam Addams Oktoberfest while I was there.  I also stopped by Harpoon in Windsor, VT.  They had an Oktoberfest that was pretty good, as well.  Frankenfest was a brewery only selection that was just awesome.  Their IPA is one of the best beers ever.  I can't wait for Winter Warmer to come out.  Two new favorites to add to the list, as well: Long Trail Ale out of Vermont and Rainbow River Red(also out of Vermont I think).

Malc

MWS

Ahh...one of my favorite subjects. ALE

Sounds like my kinda trip Malc. ;D

I love a good IPA and oatmeal stout and this place makes the best IMHO

http://www.bbaybrewery.com/

Luckily, I'm going to be there this weekend.  :P

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Malc on October 17, 2006, 09:49:45 AM
QuoteYou picked a good time of year. Around this time of year, they brew a lot of ales that are seasonal.
I just got back.  I had a lot of Sam Addams Oktoberfest while I was there.  I also stopped by Harpoon in Windsor, VT.  They had an Oktoberfest that was pretty good, as well.  Frankenfest was a brewery only selection that was just awesome.  Their IPA is one of the best beers ever.  I can't wait for Winter Warmer to come out.  Two new favorites to add to the list, as well: Long Trail Ale out of Vermont and Rainbow River Red(also out of Vermont I think).

Malc
Looks like I found another reason to go into Vermont.

I
         don't
                   inhale.