Been Awhile since I made some Summer Sausage and Snack Sticks

Started by Tenpoint5, May 11, 2012, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

It has been a while, so since the Grocery store had Ground Beef on sale for $1.99 a pound. I bought a couple 10 pound tubes. We have all seen the mix and stuff pics. Here is a couple of them going in the four rack ( Summer Sausage) and the six rack ( Snack Sticks).

The Summer

The Snack Sticks getting some Smoke!

Found out some info about the ECA I didn't know today. The ECA will neutralize the Ph in the meat at 141ยบ then you finish cook and cool then Vac Seal. The cured product will have an Old Fashioned Tang to it and will also be shelf stable at room temp for up to 6 months.

Here is what the LEM package looks like.

Oh and to answer the question. I was testing a prototype element that was put on moth balls when the supplier issues arose. That's all I have to say about that.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Dam. You knew the question was coming about that? I was about to ask ;D LOL! 
I like how you kept it till the end to let us all start thinking about the QUESTION :). And then BAM. The answer is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

bundy

Sure interested in the element Tenpoint, one of mine starting to go and was thinking of going a different route than the dual elements I have now. Any info would be appreciated.

muebe

Good to see you back smoking ;)

How is your wing doing?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

wyrman

OU812

Sailor

Good to see you smoking again Chris.  Good that you answered the question most were wondering about however my question is if ECA will give a shelf life of 6 months how do you keep the Yard Monkeys away from the stixs for that period of time  :o  ;D  Stix's in this house never last past 2 weeks  :o

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Sailor on May 12, 2012, 09:37:22 AM
Good to see you smoking again Chris.  Good that you answered the question most were wondering about however my question is if ECA will give a shelf life of 6 months how do you keep the Yard Monkeys away from the stixs for that period of time  :o  ;D  Stix's in this house never last past 2 weeks  :o

Basically I have to either throw them in the freezer to hide them or just enjoy the "Tang" that the ECA gives the sticks and summer.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

Guess I should post some pics of the final finished product. So here be the Money Shots!

The Sticks

The Summer

While everything was taking its sweet old time (Didn't finish till 4:30am) We had a Thunderstorm try to materialize to the South East of us. Snapped a couple pics with the phone. The way the sun hit the clouds made for some really cool colors. These pictures where taken about 5 minutes apart. and are in order. Pretty Cool, wish I would have had Squirts high speed super camera.

viper125

Nice hearing from you Chris! Glad to see you smoking again or still. Missed your posts as you are one of my favorites and I learn a lot from you.  Meat looks fantastic as always. The element, well I can see how you knew that was coming as every buddy always looking for bigger and better. I have use ECA in some of my meats and I like the tang it gives. Just never seen about the shelf life. I have always thought their should be away to do it rather then dry so far. Well glad to see you back and hope you stick around!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Caribou

Great pics of sticks, sausage and clouds :)
I want to try that ECA, too. Thanks for showing that, too.
Carolyn

SiFumar

OU812

KyNola

Great looking sticks Chris.  I remember seeing that radiator in your Bradley last year.