Warming up at last; just a rambling of the first two weeks of the New Year

Started by Oldman, January 14, 2010, 09:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Well it could have been worse. Looks like I lost most of my potato plants, some grapes--but not the vines -- my squash and 10 of my new shrubs took a hit. All of my fruit trees came through it. My pineapples took a hit but their centers are good. This will just set them back from fruiting about one year extra. The blackberries look great.

They pump so much water in effort to keep strawberry plants from freezing to death by coating them in ice that our water table dropped 60 feet. This caused 22 sink holes just in one county. Two of them on I-4! We don't have a true hard pan like most states. Ours is limestone. Remove the water from it and it crushes.

Now this past Christmas I was at a family member's home. In the back yard in a 6' X 10' cage was this Rot. His name is Rocky He is 10 years old. It rained that day so the floor of cage had standing water. The cage had not been cleaned out for a couple of days. So he is standing in chit-water. I cleaned the cage myself. It was all I could do to contain my anger. In fact Susan pulled me over a couple of times and said it is all over you. You are wearing it.

After dinner I told that family member that the treatment of that dog does-not-get-er-done and I was not going to abide by it. A week later and $1,400.00 for a fence a doggy door and bed in my outside wood shed they brought me the dog. His vet bill was another $200.00. He was eat up with hook worms. Rocky is a huge dog but he only weighed 76 pounds.Our Vet said that with his frame Rocky should be at least 120 pounds if not more. I feed him 2 cans of soup 2 cans of dog food 6 cups of dry food and a vitamin every day.

He is a great dog and he now has a 50 foot X 14 foot dog run and he can directly go into his "house." I hope to allow him by next week to leave the dog run and have him join the other dogs.

I'm still pissed at that family member. I told them when I got the dog that while their are great parents they were not worth a 0 a pet people.

Oh ya my 2 1/2 year old computer died Saturday. It is in the repair shop and I went out and purchased a new system with Windows 7. What is funny is I upgraded my two main programs as this system is 64 bit. Well they both loaded in the (X86) folder..... LOL~~!

Well 'nough said.
Good New Year to everyone.

EDIT All of my banana plants are toasted. But they should come back in a couple of months.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Quarlow

You a real good person Oldman. That guy is luck it was you and not me. Family or not you don't treat an animal like that. The animal has no choice so everything they get we must provide for them. I would like to stick that SOB in the cage for awhile and see how they like it. If you can't take care of it atleast give it away. God bless you Olds.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Roadking

I hate to hear about animal negligence it realy pisses me off. No call for it. I would consider your family member lucky, lucky I wasn't there.

I know what you mean about the sink hole. Here in Jersey we sit on a sand dune about half of the state is like that. Most of my wifes relatives are in Tampa. Good luck with everything.

Al

Oldman

QuoteI would like to stick that SOB in the cage for awhile and see how they like it
I know what you mean. It has now been 10 days and I'm still hot over this one. Everyttime I see him I my  rage over his treatment raises its head.  I still have not gotten over that  a family member of my blood would have allowed this type of treatment.   If I was a younger man of my youth I'm sure I would have been put into jail. But age does teach you there are ways to deal with things other than with force or a boom.

As soon as he gets his legs under him good I will post images of him... he is one good looking dog. He is one loving dog.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Quarlow

I really miss having a dog. I grew up with dogs and cats all the time. My last dog was15 years ago because it is to hard to own one when you rent housing. But once my girls are out our living situation is going to change and I will have another. Glad you rescued this poor soul of a friend. Man's best friend.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mybad

Olds here is a little background on x86 instruction set architectures...your comp is doing the right thing!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86 

ronbeaux

You da Man Olds! We rescued a black lab that was roaming the neighborhood 3 years ago and now she is a part of the family. She went from a shriveled up fur covered wreck to a fat and happy ruler of the house, and an expert in rug impressions.

I know there is a place for posting critters, but this one has become a special member of the family and a true friend. It looks as if she fell off of a building sometimes when she sleeps and I always crack up laughing at some of the positions she manages to get in.

How can anybody treat an animal like that??? Just be glad you don't understand because then you might be able to do it too.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Oldman

Quotean expert in rug impressions
To funny!

We now have 5 dogs and 2 cats. All were either abandoned, abused, neglected or not wanted.

Oldman

Roadking

Aren't dogs the greatest. They are the best friend any man can have. I can prove it. Take tour dog and wife and lock them in the truck of your car for 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes open the trunk and see which one is happy to see you.  ::)     Just kidding. Only fooling I would never do that to my dog.

squirtthecat

Olds, the only advantage of a program running in true 64-bit mode is to give it access to extra memory..

32 bit apps are limited to 4GB of memory, 64 bit apps can theoretically access 16 exabytes of memory, but you'll hit the limitation of the computer hardware long before then.

Taking the addressable memory out of the equation, there really isn't any performance advantages to speak of.

Going from 16 to 32 bit apps is a different story.. 

I'll stop boring everyone now.   ;)

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 15, 2010, 07:03:32 AM

Olds, the only advantage of a program running in true 64-bit mode is to give it access to extra memory..

32 bit apps are limited to 4GB of memory, 64 bit apps can theoretically access 16 exabytes of memory, but you'll hit the limitation of the computer hardware long before then.

Taking the addressable memory out of the equation, there really isn't any performance advantages to speak of.

Going from 16 to 32 bit apps is a different story.. 

I'll stop boring everyone now.   ;)

What?  ;D  ::)

Olds
Thats a great thing you did for that poor dog. People like that piss me off like no other. I have 4 dogs, 2 German short hairs which are outside dogs and 2 inside dogs, a Boxer and a Boston terror,he is a little terror.

The short hairs have a kennel thats 40' X 40' with a dog house thats 4' X 6' that has a divider to keep the wind out and its insulated with an R13 on all sides and a heated water bowl. When I go out to feed them and they come out of there house you can see the heat coming off them on a cold winter day. I bring the short hairs in the big house when the temp drops below 10 F or when its really windy.

I dont know how anyone can look out in there back yard at something you seen and cleaned up without some kind of remorse. I just dont get it.

Oldman

Quotea Boston terror,he is a little terror.
Heh... our Jack Russell (15 pounds) thinks he is a full size pit bull... to funny. During our cold snap I gave Rocky heated food and water. Plus I put two heaters in his house. No power out there yet so I ran two 12 gauge cords to the heaters.  Later in the year I will have to address the heat.... It gets so hot here 8 months out of the year most tomatos will not set fruit.

OU812

Our Boston, Tucker is only 5 months old and not quite 8 lb but he's starting to fill out and is fun to watch mess with the bigger dogs.

Sounds like Rocky is in good hands now, good to here.

seemore

Olds, I am behind in reading posts and just got to this one. 
It is admirable, what you did for the Rottie.  It makes me sick to think of what people can do to an animal, because they are "just an animal".
I'm sitting here, feeling bad because I yelled at Tasha earlier for jumping up on the cedar chest.  So, she left the room and curled up on the bed - it started out as our (Seemore and I) bed, but it has become her's.  Poor abused dog.....
Just know that you and all the others on this Forum have made a difference in the lives of many dogs, cats, or any other animal that you have taken in.
Mrs.