How to make Turkey Jerky??? Help?

Started by Scottie's Gourmet Meats, December 24, 2010, 05:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottie's Gourmet Meats

Hey guys, I want to learn how to make turkey jerky, but I'm not sure where to even start. Any help out there??? What part of the bird do I use? How long to smoke it for, etc etc etc. Thanks for the help, insight and hints!

Scottie
Scottie Gourmet Meats!

pensrock

I have not made it but you can start by checking out the recipe site. You can also search for posts on here, I think NEPAS made maple turkey jerky some time ago. See if you can find his post.

NePaSmoKer

Slice like you do other meat. Use cure #1 with the marinade and do it.

Note: Careful how long you work the marinade or your jerky seasoning to the turkey. It gets real tender and starts to fall apart.

Scottie's Gourmet Meats

Hey Nepa,

Do I use white meat? Dark meat? Does is smoke up like beef? Or will it dry out quicker? If I do a 12-14hour dry rub with cure in the mix, should I shorten that time as well?

Thanks for your help!
Scottie Gourmet Meats!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Scottie's Gourmet Meats on December 24, 2010, 09:58:47 PM
Hey Nepa,

Do I use white meat? Dark meat? Does is smoke up like beef? Or will it dry out quicker? If I do a 12-14hour dry rub with cure in the mix, should I shorten that time as well?

Thanks for your help!

I use white meat, but if you can get nice strips of dark use that too. I would do 8-10 hours because fowl takes season, marinades fast.

Turkey is going to get done faster because there is low fat content. Keep an eye on it or it will get crumbly and brittle. If you add oil to the meat try to keep it on a minimal amount. Smoke has a tough time penetrating. (not saying it wont but takes longer)

Indy Smoker

Let us know how it turned out and include some pics.  I never made turkey jerky - just venison.