Do you run pucks for the whole time?

Started by Carter, May 22, 2007, 09:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carter

I just bought the Bradley two weeks ago.  I have now done a Beer Can Chicken & these unbelievable little chicken breasts with homemade Bour-BQ Sauce (one for the sauce, two for me).

The Beer Can Chicken cooked for 4 hours or so.  I used Hickory.  Do they need to be on for the whole four hours?  Will it affect the heat of the unit or will the heating element be enough?  How much of an impact on flavour will it have if you stop running them for a period, particularly for the longer cooking times?

Part of this question is because I'm cheap.  The other part is because I really want to know if I'm the first person who has ever wondered this.  I'm a reformed Griller, so smoking is a new religion for me.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Carter

Malc

Welcome.  Most will run smoke for four hours or less, depending on what you are smoking.  After that, the smoke really doesn't penetrate.  Could also result in a more ashy taste than you want.  I leave the puck burner on after the last one though, just to keep the heat up in the box.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Carter

Thanks Malc,

My first question.  My first response.

Cheers.

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum!  Like, Malc I leave my burner on but for a different reason.  I leave mine on so that I do not have to adjust the slider.  I am confident that the bulb will provide enough heat, but if you take away a heat source, then the other has to compensate.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Malc

Quote from: Wildcat on May 22, 2007, 10:14:41 AM
Welcome to the forum!  Like, Malc I leave my burner on but for a different reason.  I leave mine on so that I do not have to adjust the slider.  I am confident that the bulb will provide enough heat, but if you take away a heat source, then the other has to compensate.
Yep, same reason, different wording.  Good point. ;D

Wildcat

Gizmo

Welcome Carter,
How did the beer can chicken turn out?  I have done several on the grill but wouldn't think it would have much of a positive effect in the smoker.  The reason I have behind this thought is that for the beer can to be effective, you would need to heat above 212 deg to create the steam from the can (which happens on a 400-600 deg grill).  Most smoking is done around 210 and with the heating element far away from the can, I wouldn't think the liquid would evaporate and would actually keep the inside of the chicken from cooking.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Water will evaporate at all temperatures, and will simmer at 180°F to 205°F (depending on what referrence you use). When I vertically roast chicken in the BS, mostly I will use a vertical cooker which has a wider base, and the chicken is more stable. I have experimented with doing beer can chicken in a BS, and it does work, although the chicken propped on a beer can is very unstable when sliding it in an out of the BS. The can, like any mass will conduct heat, and it conducts heat better then the chicken.

When I cook chicken, I only use 2 - 3 hours of smoke, and that is useing a milder/sweeter wood like maple and/or apple. Each bisquette smokes for approximately 20 minutes so that is 6 to 9 bisquettes, plus 3 extra bisquettes (or 2 Bubba puck plus one Bisquette) to get the 6th or 9th bisquette to the burner plate. Then you can leave the smoke generator on for extra heat if it is needed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Malc

I have also done the beer can chicken in the BS.  It works just fine.  Don't forget, that some of that "steam" is actually alcohol, as well.  If you add some other stuff to the can, like spices, etc... some of the alcohol soluble aromas will travel with it.  It works, and it also makes for a great smell, which helps too.  Here is what I usually do.  This gets divided between two cans.
1) Drink half of two beers(only half).  It's hard, and it may take practice to get it right ;D
2) The rest of this I really don't measure
     1/2 of a chopped onion
     2-3 garlic cloves
     salt & pepper(fresh cracked)
     cayenne pepper
     whatever rub I have used on the chicken
     a little oil and cider vinegar(just a splash)
3) Replenish each can with half of the above stuff and stuff it up the bird's rear
4) Place in preheated Bradley and cook until done.

Habanero Smoker

I say "Beer Can" chicken, but most of the time I use an empty soda or beer can and add a mixture of pineapple (or other juice), a couple slices of lemons, herbs and garlic.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Carter

Thanks for all the great responses.  :)  It's the turnout of theBeer Can Chicken that made me ask about the pucks.  The chicken was really moist and I got great reviews from my guests, but I personally thought it was just a little heavy on the smoke (Hickory pucks for 4 hours).  Now that I know I can use less, I probably will.  I have often found that less can be and often is more when it comes to flavouring and spices.  Just ask my Mother in Law about the pot of Chile I ruined with Chili de Arbol (you win some you lose some).

The recipe I used was in the Smoke and Spice Cookbook and I followed it to the letter (Rub, ingredients in the Can, etc.).  I'm looking forward to doing it again.  Of note, when the chicken was done, there was still a lot of liquid left in the Can & yes I had to be a little careful moving it in and out of the smoker.

As for Smoke and Spice, I'm really pleased with that book.  I just made one of their BBQ sauces (Bour B Q) and it's fantastic.  I'm out of town this weekend and unfortunately wont get to cook.  I'm hoping to make up for lost time next weekend by BBQing on both Saturday or Sunday.  Should I do Ribs, Pulled Pork, Flank Steak or Rainbow Trout?  Tough call. At least I've got week to think about it.

Carter

Malc

Something to think about with the smokiness is the skin.  The skin will be a lot more smokey than the meat.  I personally remove the skin.  Some people will finish in a higher temp oven or on a grill to crisp it up a bit.  Preference, I guess.

Glad it went well for you.  Gotta try pulled pork.  Best thing that comes out of the BS IMO.

Malc

Carter

Wildcat

Yup - Pulled pork and the chicken wrap!  Congrats on your success!