My new smokehouse

Started by Roget, July 27, 2013, 01:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

I have the pipe going out the wall tilted to the outside just a bit. There is a hole drilled at the elbow out side should any condensation gather it will drip to the out side but I have never seen any condensation dripping yet.

Roget

Cathouse, Do you notice the smoke "settling" & leaving a film on everything in the shed?

I, like you, would not mine the smoke smell. That is one of the perks of our endeavors.

I'm not sure how many times I would need to close the doors on my shed when I'm smoking anyway.
YCDBSOYA

rveal23

Man, Many of us have the same Idea. I just picked up all my hardware yesterday to do this to my smoker. Once I have a few minutes I will get this started and post pictures of it as well.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

TarGOST

Nice system!

I "hung" venting over mine. It has a little in-line assist fan they make for adding flow to weak vents - heating your house type thing at Menards. When the doors are closed ALL the smoke goes straight up and out the side dryer vent cover. Only get condensation when below zero and it's minor.

TarGOST

See assist fan at far right, farthest from the heat I could get it. I took fan apart and coated the motor with spray-on waterproofer for insurance against moisture/corrosion.

Saber 4

That's a nice setup, I like the exhaust fan and the note taking on the side walls.

tskeeter

Quote from: Roget on July 27, 2013, 02:14:53 PM
I really don't want  to cut a hole in the shed as running it out the front works pretty well, but I may have to do that.

I would rather just find a good way to fasten the stack to the top of the Bradley.

Roget, I found a duct fitting that fit into the vent on my smoker.  (I have removed the adjustable portion of the damper.)  This fitting had a bunch of tabs cut on one end, a small flange above the tabs, and then a standard crimped reduced end that slips inside the next section of duct.  I cut away two tabs, left the third tab, cut away two more tabs, etc.  This made gaps in the tabs of the fitting so that the tabs remaining on the fitting could be slid down into the neck of the vent.  To lock the fitting to the smoker, I reached up into the vent from inside the smoker and used a screwdriver to fold the tabs over the rim of the vent.  This locked the fitting into the top of the smoker very firmly.   

Roget

tskeeter,
that sounds like what I would like to do.

Many good ideas for me to mull over before deciding whether to start cutting on my shed.

Thanks to all who responded.
YCDBSOYA

tskeeter

Quote from: Roget on July 29, 2013, 07:23:41 AM
tskeeter,
that sounds like what I would like to do.

Many good ideas for me to mull over before deciding whether to start cutting on my shed.

Thanks to all who responded.

Roget, one thing I would do different if I was setting up a smoker house again. 

Exhaust the smoker through a side wall, not the roof.  I went through the roof of my molded plastic shed.  It took several modifications to get the boot for the vent pipe sealed up so it didn't leak every time it rained.  Even if it leaks a bit, a through the wall vent will prevent the water from pooling on top of (and inside) your smoker.

Use a cap for the vent pipe that is pretty well sealed from the weather.  I like the looks of the dryer style, hooded vent cap for a through the wall installation.

devo

The dryer vent works very well.

cathouse willy

Quote from: Roget on July 28, 2013, 03:38:43 PM
Cathouse, Do you notice the smoke "settling" & leaving a film on everything in the shed?

I, like you, would not mine the smoke smell. That is one of the perks of our endeavors.

I'm not sure how many times I would need to close the doors on my shed when I'm smoking anyway.

Roget I've used mine dozens of times and haven't noticed any residue except the smell. I'll leave it this way unless things start to get gummy, then I'll vent it out the side.Large rare earth magnets are an easy way to attach a metal vent pipe to the smoker.

TarGOST

If you go with the i -line assist fan You don't have to have a seal. If you add the assist fan it just needs to be above the smoker. When you close the doors the smoke goes straight up. The fan gathers all that smoke with enough overcapacity to also pull in fresh air around the entry. This cools the in-line fan and minimizes condensation.

TarGOST

Was going to edit, but iphone has Send so close to top line it Sent before full edit. But you get the point I hope.