G'Day from Downunder Australia

Started by drtinson, January 06, 2010, 10:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drtinson

I live in beautiful Victoria just outside of Melbourne on the Mornington Peninsula. Moved back here 15 years ago after 10 lovely years in Calgary (one of the reasons I love all things Canadian).
Believe it or not shrimp (with a few sea scallops marinated with olive oil and garlic) was the first thing that got thrown on the Bradley. ;D. Yet to try any roo but we will get around to it. There are just so many things to do with it. My favorite has been a large pork scotch fillet roast, rubbed with some Grub Rub that I picked up in Houston and slow cooked with about 2 hours of smoke. (Alder and Mesquite mix).
The wood is reasonably expensive here so I ordered it via EBay in a lot of 4x120 pucks to make it more economical. However it means that so far I have only tried mainly Alder and  Mesquite,with a small amount of Cherry and Apple, but not enough to really develop a preference. I have taken a real liking to Alder. What other flavours should one stock or does it just really boil down to a personal preference?

Quarlow

Mesquite-Very strong
Hickory-strong
Oak-strong but not overpowering
Pecan-mild version of Oak
Maple-Mild
Cherry-Mild & fruity
Apple-Mild, fruity with a slight sweetness
Alder-Light with a hint of sweetness
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum drtinson!

Smoke is a preference thing. I would (no pun intended) try them all and see what you like.

In the USA it tends to be a little geographically tilted, (mesquite in Texas, Hickory in Kentucky, Alder in the Northwest) but here in Florida we use whatever you want.

I like Hickory, Oak, Maple, Apple and Pecan.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!