Brisket and ????

Started by GusRobin, May 09, 2010, 05:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

got a few days off this eek so I thought I would do an overnight smoke. Thought I would start a brisket Wed night. Any suggestions on what else I should throw in there? I thought maybe a pork butt. Would the butt freeze well? Should I pull it first then freeze or freeze whole then reheat and pull.?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

Butt and Brisket go well together, both long cooks.

I would pull, vac seal, and freeze.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: FLBentRider on May 09, 2010, 05:54:18 PM
Butt and Brisket go well together, both long cooks.

I would pull, vac seal, and freeze.

Yep that's what I would be doing
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Ditto on both of the above.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

Just to be different - why not 2 briskets?

One can never have too much brisket!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

GusRobin

Yeah, I do like brisket better than pork but I wanted something different. I figure roughly 1.5 hr per pound for the brisket, what about for the butt? (I know it will be done when done, just trying to figure how much beer to buy.)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Caneyscud

In the Bradley, 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours per pound.  I can regularly do them 1 1/2 per pound or less on my stick burners for some reason, but not all the time in the Bradley. I try to keep cabinet temps of 225 +/- .  You'd be ok up to 250.  Less than 225 and you run your cook time out lots longer than necessary. 

I'd plan for 2 hours per pound or slightly more because of the big load - and if you have a windy day even a little more. - and hope for less.  If it gets done in less time - just throw it into a cooler to keep warm until serving time.  Will hold safe temp for several hours.  Wrap in foil or not.  Less cooler clean up if in foil. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Up In Smoke

I agree with the brisket and butt,
besides i kinda think that after a smoked butt has been pulled and frozen
the smoke flavor really comes through when thawed!.
not sure about the brisket though....i can't seem to keep one around long enough
to freeze!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

GusRobin

Pork butt took 20hrs before hitting 192F -pulled it and FTC'd for 2 hrs. Made the vinegar sauce and used some homemade BBQ sauce. This was the first time I had pulled pork other than at a restaurant (mostly a beef man). After this one I will probably never eat restaurant pork again. Always wondered what everyone saw in the pork smokes - reel me in, I am hooked.
The brisket took 25.5 hrs, so about 2 hours per lb. It is being FTC'd now. Or at least the flat part is, I cut the point up and made burnt ends. Slapped some of the BBQ sauce and it was great. The flat was a little dry on the thin end.I was having what appeared to be a high variation in IT when I moved the probe around. I'll see what it does after the FTC. (added some beer).
All in  all it was a good day. (Also made a lot of progress on the Habitat for Bradley. Just have the trim and doors to do and some staining and painting.

ArnieM

Good going Gus!  Nothing like home made pulled pork if not only for the reason you made it yourself.

There's a small restaurant here in town offering pulled pork.  I asked where their smoker was.  They said they just get it a bucket.  OK, off my list.

I understand what you're saying about the brisket.  I have a packer in the freezer and will do it in a couple of weeks.  I'll separate the flat and point.  I was thinking of boating the flat after the smoke with some juice and putting it back in (top rack).  I'm hoping that will keep the flat a little moister.  In any case, you really have to monitor the IT of both the flat and point so as not to overcook the flat.  The point takes a little longer.

Post pics of your habitat when you get it done.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.