Dampner setting

Started by terryrichards, November 03, 2006, 05:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryrichards

Just bought my BS and I have 2 boston buts and a brisket flat in there for my first expirement. Using mesquite for 4 hrs. Buts on the bottom brisket one rack above. How do you determine how much if any the dampner should be opened??? I right now have it open about 3/16 inch. Is there any rule of thumb on the dampner setting??

Thanks

TR

West Coast Kansan

Greetings, You are going to have a nice long run with 2 butts and a brisket. It will due fine. The vent should be open enough to allow air to flow through the unit.  You do not want to smoke with it closed down to the point smoke backs up through the smoke generator opening or moisture builds up (condensation) in the unit. I dont know of an issue will it being full open other than my brain likes the idea of smoke going through the unit slow.  The vent is also fun to play with in terms of temperature.  Good luck and share your results and experience. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

icerat4

I second west coast on the vent deal and.How many pounds are you doing.And what temps do you figure your going to take them out at.These are the other factors of turning out great smoked food.Check the around here any questions people will chime in right away to help.Good luck and have some fun  ;D.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

robs

That's a pretty brave smoke. Are you using a remote thermometer in each piece?

icerat4

Well i say the butts go way longer then the brisket so saying that only one internal temp probe is needed.All depends on how much lbs he is doing IMO.Butt its going to be a long run for sure.Make sure ya have a keg ready. ;D

terryrichards

I just have the thermometer in the brisket for right now. I was kind of going off of olds 4th of july brisket. 4 hrs then boat w/splash of apple juice. When I do that I will spray down the buts w/apple juice. I just checked the temp and it is only holding at 180F and the out door temp is 20F The buts are 6.5lb ea and the brisket is 5.6 lb. and I added an aluminum tray of bushes beans w/ 3 cans in it until the smoke is done. right now I am at 2 hr mark on smoke.

terryrichards

I guess I should have added that the heat on the unit is wide open. Do I need to close the dampner more to get the temp up to 195f wind is blowing 15-20 mph like always in NE. Hoping to have some good eats for the Husker game tommorrow. ??? ???

icerat4

Wow talk about  a full of bs..That smoker is filled to the brim im sure.Give us a shout when the results are in.Heres my perdiction.And frist of all go at least 5 maybe six hours of smoke with that much poundage Imo.The butts will be done at a pulling temp of 195    17 hours later with box temps of 210 or so.Thats going to be the biggie the beans can go as long as ya want.The brisket is a personal preferance i pull mine at 175 then give it the foil and apple juice deal.Good luck with this and stay awake lol.By the way this is Imo only everyone does things alittle different thats why here we are a rare bred of smoking nuts so just have fun and test stuff out and enjoy. ;D And then report back here .heheheh

West Coast Kansan

Closing the vent will help with heat (some) - dont close too much though... it wont help that much.   Until the 20 lbs of food comes up in temp you will not see a lot of movement in oven temps.  Your food is absorbing the heat now. It is doing fine.  Fill up the water bowl when you pull the beans at end of smoke and have a good sleep. Check the Brisket internal temp if you gotta get up in the night but It will do fine. Low and slow .... tomorrow will be a good day if I know Missouri.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

terryrichards

I just closed the vent to 1/8" I will keep an eye on it until midnight 3 hrs from now. I also just loaded 2 more hrs of biskets (Thanks Icerat4) I thought it might need more smoke with that much meat. with the out door temp tonight calling for 29f with south wind of 15 mph and the BS is on the south side of the house. Will wide open throttle on the heat be to much later on or will I need to back it down a little while I get some Z's. I would rather have to cook longer than torch it.

icerat4

Just keep an  eye on the internal temps.These meats will stall the temps big time .Dont get to excited lol.When you get the temps  where ya want. Out they come.Not before. Hold out and wait.Be paticent grasshopper .Ok its the beer kickin in.But just change the water and the temps will rise slow remember that.So if the butts are only 145-160 at bed time and the temps in the box are 210 or so .You can go to slep no problem .By the time you wake up they will be at 175 180 .Have a great night 8)

coyote

On my first go 'round I closed the vent to build heat faster. Big mistake ! :-[
It caused a flood in my BS..............Let the unit breathe. You'll learn more every smoke AND by staying with the forum. There are some smart folks here.
I'm just not one of 'em.........but I'm tryin'.

Stay with the smoke,
                                                            Coyote

icerat4

Ive made mistakes.NOT.lol  ;D.Ive got your back rookie.

coyote

Ya gotta love the Rat 8)....................Coyote

terryrichards

I guess I should reword my previous, will having the temp control wide open get the box temp to high with the outside temp at 29f? I am assuming that as the meat temp rises the box temp will rise. I don't want to get the box to hot and have ashes when I wake. As said earlier low and slow. I just checked box temp again at 180f and got another beverage.