Vertical Chicken Roaster

Started by smoker pete, November 04, 2010, 09:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

Needed a Guinea Pig chicken for my trial run at using Jan's Dry Rub so I picked up a little 5 ¼ lb bird for my victim.  Notice the fresh mixed bag of rub and the Vertical Chicken Roaster being used for the test.  There's a zillion variations of the Roaster and they are quite inexpensive.  Sure makes it easy to hang a bird upright ...  Course, Jim Beam goes with everything  ;D ;D

Rubbed the young chicken with EVOO and a liberal amount of Jan's Dry Rub.  Paid extra attention to applying the rub as much as possible under the skin and inside the cavity.  Trimmed off some of the fat from the bird but in hind sight maybe I should have left more of it on so that it would baste the bird.  Not that it came out dry but just a thought since the roaster catches the grease.

Here's that beauty ready for the OBS.  PID @ 250ºF, vent wide open, and used 2 hours of Hickory

4 hours later the IT was only @ 154º in the thickest part of the breast.  As this was my first whole chicken I learned that I needed to put the bird in a lot sooner than I did in order to eat at a decent time.  Pulled the bird with an IT of 154º and finished her off in a 450º oven for 15 minutes.

Here is what the bird looked like when I pulled it from the OBS.  Using the Vertical Chicken Roaster sure did make cleanup simple.  All the grease was deposited at the bottom of the Roaster so there was nothing inside the OBS to clean except the water bowl.  I like that  :D

The $$shot

Lessons Learned:

• Jan's Dry Rub was everything it was advertised to be and then some
  • Hickory adds another dimension to smoked chicken.  Only used Pecan and Apple before
  • Vertical Chicken Roaster really made clean up a cinch
  • Yummmmm ... It was delicious

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

FLBentRider

That looks great.

Jans rub is good on everything.

Chickens - 5 hours should be good - but they vary in size.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KyNola

squirtthecat

Awesome!

Now we need to get him hooked on Carolina Treet...   ;)

smoker pete

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 05, 2010, 06:32:34 AM

Awesome!

Now we need to get him hooked on Carolina Treet...   ;)

Been reading nothing but raves about Carolina Treet and Mies Breading.  Will be getting me some to play with!

The good thing is that SWMBO claims to like anything that I cook for over 25 years now but I'm always looking for new ways to cook the same thing  :D  You know what they say ... 'variety is the spice of life'

thirtydaZe

that turned out well.

chickens kind of turned out to be my norm, love turning them into sandwich meat.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

squirtthecat

Your best bet for Carolina Treet (well, other than running into Nepas in a Walmart parking lot :D)  is from this place out in CA:

http://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/sauces/carolina-treet-original-sauce.html

ArnieM

Great looking chicken Pete.  Looks like a nice vertical roaster too, especially considering the clean up factor.

I get my Carolina Treet from http://www.carolinatreet.com/sauces.asp?page=2 - A 64 Ounce bottle is $9 compared to Big Pappa at $6.95 for an 18 Ounce bottle.  I get the 64 Ounce two pack.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SouthernSmoked

Great looking bird Pete...

Let's Eat!!

Another source for CT - Yard and Pool...

Carolina Treet Cooking Barbecue Sauce 27.5 oz. --- $4.99

http://www.yardandpool.com/Carolina-Treet-Cooking-Barbecue-Sauce-p/ctbbq275.htm
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KyNola

OK Pete, let's combine two flavors.  Order you some Carolina Treet Cooking Sauce.  Get you some chicken wings.  Separate the wing sections.  Put them in a large bowl.  Pour some of the CT on them and evenly coat.  Now.....take some of Jan's Rub and give them a good coating of the Rub.  Roll some smoke for an hour or two and then finish them off on the grill.  Seriously delicious.  I did about 150 pieces for Super Bowl.  They lasted about 10 minutes once I brought them in to the fans.

Jan and I have decided that CT and Jan's Rub is a natural combination.  That combo is great on pork tenderloins too!

smoker pete

Quote from: KyNola on November 05, 2010, 02:17:57 PM
OK Pete, let's combine two flavors.  Order you some Carolina Treet Cooking Sauce.  Get you some chicken wings.  Separate the wing sections.  Put them in a large bowl.  Pour some of the CT on them and evenly coat.  Now.....take some of Jan's Rub and give them a good coating of the Rub.  Roll some smoke for an hour or two and then finish them off on the grill.  Seriously delicious.  I did about 150 pieces for Super Bowl.  They lasted about 10 minutes once I brought them in to the fans.

Jan and I have decided that CT and Jan's Rub is a natural combination.  That combo is great on pork tenderloins too!

Looking forward to doing a batch of bird arm pits .  Am in the process of getting me some CT and I have plenty of Jan's Dry Rub from the batch I made yesterday.  Problem is finding an outlet where the shipping costs are less than the product costs  :'( :'(

[Edit] Just ordered 6 18 oz bottles from Yard and Pool so I'll be trying some arm pits and a butt soon  ;D

squirtthecat

Ah geez, I forgot about Yard and Pool carrying it...   Sorry Bryan!

Pete, you'll love it.