Double batch of Kielbasa

Started by Sailor, July 06, 2013, 08:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Made up 5 pounds regular Kielbasa and 5 hot and spicy Kielbasa.  Used Hog casings for these.  Got 2 racks of each in to dry the casings.  After they are dry will put 2 to 3 hrs of Hickory smoke on them.  No shots of mixing or stuffing (boring).

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Tenpoint5

Jim what did you change in the recipe for hot and spicy kielbasa versus regular?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

For 5 pounds I use 2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes and 2.25 tsp of Cayenne pepper.  My Kielbasa recipe calls for 1 1/2 tsp of Cayenne pepper for the regular mix per 10 pounds.  I mixed up the 10 pounds of regular mix then weighed it all and spilt it in half.  Then I added the crushed red pepper flakes and extra 2 .25 tsp of cayenne to the spicy mix and mixed it up.  Stuffed the regular blend 1st then stuffed the spicy blend.

I just used what I normally use for my spicy Italian which is 1.5 to 2 tsp of red pepper flakes and 3 tsp of cayenne.  Since the Kielbasa already had .75 tsp of cayenne I did not want to over power the heat.

Tenpoint5

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

Happy with the color they took on after the smoke.  IT is running 133 so have a few more hours to get to 152.  Was going to give a hot water bath but I am too lazy to get out the roaster so will just let them finish in the Bradley.  Been rotating the racks every hour and wish I would have taken the extra time to hang them but I got lazy when stuffing and made big ropes so had to use the racks.

NePaSmoKer

ragweed

Tenpoint5