Korean Hambugers

Started by BigJohnT, April 09, 2010, 08:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnT

Quote from: monty on April 14, 2010, 03:19:12 PM
Quote from: OU812 on April 14, 2010, 12:01:56 PM
I cant seem to find the roasted sesame oil but I did find some plain ole sesame oil and it seems there pretty proud of the stuff. Over $8 for a little bottle, wow.

i was just going to ask this - will regular sesame oil yield a similar tasting burger?

I use the regular sesame oil as I can't find the toasted. I toast my sesame seeds in a pan on the stove.

JT

OU812

Sweet, I will pick up a bottle for this weekend.

watchdog56

If you guys want probably the best short ribs you will EVER have, use that same recipe for a marinade. Have your butcher cut short ribs about 3/8 inch thick and marinate overnight then put on the grill till done. My sister in law is Korean and we love these ribs. They are called Kalbi ribs. We have fed these to hundreds of people and have only found 1 that did not like them at all.(she is a little weird anyway.) They are a family favorite.

BigJohnT

That does sound tasty... I need to try and find some short ribs and try that out.

JT

watchdog56

You won't regret it. I personally like a charcoal grill over gas just because of the taste. I have a Weber that uses the propane starter so you don't have to use lighter fluid. Best Father's day gift my kids ever got me.
Also if you want better tasting yet substitute honey for the sugar-same amounts. Much better.

BigJohnT

Ok, I picked up some packages of short ribs from the butcher today. Same recipe but use honey... I can't wait for Saturday to try them out.

Is that some kind of standard Korean sauce recipe?

Thanks
John

jiggerjams

Hi all,

Yes this would be a standard Korean barbecue marinade. Add ins would be mirin or sakke (rice wines), ginger, Asian pear, and as watchdog mentioned honey is a common ingredient. Although not as familiar birds beak Thai chilies can also be used for those that like heat.

As for the sesame oil it is my experience that the dark sesame oil is toasted. That is where the nutty flavor of the dark sesame oil comes from. You definitely want to buy dark as the amber has no flavor. When purchasing buy only a small bottle that will be plenty. As this oil is big on flavor I suggest to use sparingly. It is generally not used as a cooking oil but used as a flavoring.

Also it is suggested the oil does not keep as well as other oils because the seeds to create the oil are toasted. It is also suggested to keep in the fridge after opening or in a dark cool place. I keep mine in the cupboard and it has kept for a year so far without producing an off taste.

I hope this helps.

JJ

watchdog56

Yes Bigjohn, honey is same amount as sugar. The thinner the cut of rib the better.

ArnieM

Hi JJ,

I keep mine in the fridge after opening and have to let it come to room temp before using it.  And, yep, a few drops go a long way.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Thanks for the info JJ

Cookin with sesame oil will be a first for me.

I'm already thinkin bout puttin some in a mop next time I do ribs, which should be this weekend.

BigJohnT

Just to recap this is the ingredient list on my web site for the hamburger

4 Tbl Soy Sauce
2 Tbl Sugar (Honey)
1 Tbl Toasted Sesame Seeds, Crushed
1 Tbl Toasted Sesame Seed Oil
2 1/2 Tbl Chopped Green Onion
1 Tbl Garlic, minced
Black Pepper to taste

does the chopped green onions belong in the marinade?

JT

watchdog56

Yes mix it all together.

watchdog56

ArnieM

I was drooling ever since I first saw the post.  Got some GB out of the freezer for stove top burgers - raining again.  I had to modify the recipe.  That's more a function of what I have on hand rather than creativeness.

Added some fresh ground ginger.  Also the zest of about 1/4 orange and juice of 1/2 lime.  Why?  They were just sittin' there on the counter.  Oh, yeah, a heaping tsp of Tahini.

Getting all mixed up.

Lookin' like burgers now.

About 2-3 minutes per side.

Dang, they were good!  I saving this recipe.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.