Simple crab recipe

Started by manxman, September 25, 2009, 06:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

This recipe is suitable for a host of occasions from simply having the munchies to serving as a starter if you have friends round. It can be prepared in just a few minutes.

Got the recipe from a friend who first had it in a local restaurant where they were charging £8 / $12 a pop as a starter!

Any crab can be used including tinned, I did it using the white claw meat and brown body meat combined using fresh brown crab.

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Cancer032.jpg

Method:

1. Mix pre prepared crab meat with cream cheese (e.g. Philadelphia) in the ratio of 3 parts crab meat to two parts cream cheese. This ratio can be varied according to taste and can be up to 50:50.
2. Add some mayonnaise (e.g. Hellmans) to taste, I would estimate about a heaped tablespoon per 1lb / 500g of the mixture prepared in 1. above. Mix well.
3. Add sea salt to taste.
4. Lightly toast some bread of your choice. I started with plain white sliced loaf but anything that takes your fancy can be used. Ciabatta is nice.
5. Liberally spread the crab mix over the toast, spreading it right to the edges.
6. Dust with freshly ground pepper, I used a mix of black, red, pink and green peppercorns. Paprika or cayenne pepper could be used instead. I have even used some L+P Worcestershire sauce.
7. Put under the grill on the cooker at medium temperature, grill until cheese just starts to brown and bubble.
8. Can be garnished with some fresh parsely and / or slice of lemon.

Infinite variations are possible in choice of bread, toppings etc. I plan on adding some finely chopped fresh green chilli pepper to the crab mix next time.
Manxman

classicrockgriller

Sounds good, but I would have to have a sub for crab (makes me sick) I can eat shrimp and oysters, but NOOOO crabs.

pensrock

Sounds great, I make a killer jalapeno crab dip but its not nearly as easy as that recipe.

manxman

Quotejalapeno crab dip

Now that does sound good!  :)
Manxman

Wildcat

This sounds fantastic. Yet another deserving dish for the Receipe Site.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/