Meat curing - Swiss style....

Started by ExpatCanadian, April 10, 2010, 03:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Man o man that place is a stones throw away from my best of dreams. Thanks for sharing.  :)

Bavind

Makes me want to make that trip too help out to   ;D

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: Bavind on April 14, 2010, 07:51:18 PM
Makes me want to make that trip too help out to   ;D

Yep, I'm really looking forward to it....!

As an aside, I just tried to ship a couple of kg of Kummok salmon to my friend (and the meat guy) to say thanks for the experience, but sadly the same courier company I have used before to ship salmon to Amsterdam has suddenly decided they are unable to deal with a perishable product.  I was not happy...  but it got returned no worse for wear.  In fact it was kind of good as it took 3 days from my initial drop off at the depot for it to get back to me, and it was still frozen, so at least it proves my packaging is good!  Unfortunately my only other options now seems to be temperature controlled couriers and the costs are just not worth it....

If anyone from Switzerland knows of a better or more cost-effective way of shipping food from an EU country into Switzerland, please let me know!  I already know Swiss customs won't be a problem, their website is very good...

Tenpoint5

Expat you might want to send a PM to 3rensho. Maybe he can help you out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

3rensho

QuoteI already know Swiss customs won't be a problem, ...

Wellllll, let me tell you about Swiss customs.  They take their own sweet time to process anything and items, perishable or not, can stay in their hot warehouses for a week to 10 days.  Additionally, if anything is wrong with the five copies of shipping documents they require it takes even longer.  I know from personal experience.  Anything perishable that I order from the EU goes to my mail drop in Germany.  Also saves 2x to 4x on transport costs because the shipper has to jump thru a lot of hoops to ship to CH. 
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Tenpoint5

This is beginning to sound like it would just be better to come bearing gifts when you arrive in Autumn
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: 3rensho on April 15, 2010, 04:56:38 AM
QuoteI already know Swiss customs won't be a problem, ...

Wellllll, let me tell you about Swiss customs.  They take their own sweet time to process anything and items, perishable or not, can stay in their hot warehouses for a week to 10 days.  Additionally, if anything is wrong with the five copies of shipping documents they require it takes even longer.  I know from personal experience.  Anything perishable that I order from the EU goes to my mail drop in Germany.  Also saves 2x to 4x on transport costs because the shipper has to jump thru a lot of hoops to ship to CH. 

:o :o :o :o :o  Holy cr@p....  sounds like I dodged a bullet on this one.  And to think it looked pretty straightforward from the docs I read on the website!  Thanks for the advice 3rensho.  And 10.5, you're right, I might as well carry it there myself next visit.  It does SEEM fairly clear that I can personally import as much fish as I want as long as it is of EU origin...  so I presume they wouldn't hassle me at the airport....  or would they?  For reference, I'm looking here:

http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/essen_trinken/00356/index.html?lang=en

....and if you look just below the chart, it says:

Foodstuffs not listed (cheese, fish, etc.) are not subject to maximum amounts within the scope of the tax-free categories

3rensho

"Up to 20 kg per person: eviscerated fish, shellfish and other dead fishery products. You may likewise bring in a single fish weighing more than 20 kg. You may bring in as many fishery products from Iceland and the Faroe Islands as you and your family can consume."

I'd take that to mean that you're good to go if you hand carry it.  I've traveled dozens of times Basel-London-Basel and have never been checked except for my passport.  A friend recently sent us some sausages from northern Germany and by the time they cleared Swiss customs they had turned some pretty colors  :-\
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: 3rensho on April 15, 2010, 06:59:01 AM
A friend recently sent us some sausages from northern Germany and by the time they cleared Swiss customs they had turned some pretty colors  :-\

I'll bet they had!!

Quote from: 3rensho on April 15, 2010, 06:59:01 AM
"Up to 20 kg per person: eviscerated fish, shellfish and other dead fishery products. You may likewise bring in a single fish weighing more than 20 kg. You may bring in as many fishery products from Iceland and the Faroe Islands as you and your family can consume."

This bit I couldn't quite work out, because immediately above that it says:

The import of foods derived from animals from third countries is prohibited.

But then goes on to say:

The following is nevertheless permitted for personal use and list the "Up to 20 kg per person" bit that you quoted above.  So I'm not sure if they are referring to 20 kg of fish from a third country (non-EU) is allowed as long as it is for personal use...  or if they mean 20kg per person from EU too and that non-EU is totally not allowed.

Whatever.... I certainly won't be exceeding 20kg regardless so I should be good....

ArnieM

Truly amazing.  I could set up a cot in there.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

WOW

That is like bein in cured meat heaven.

Were does he find the time to cook or run his restaurant?

Great pictures, thanks for sharin.

Caneyscud

Expat, did you get to take that trip to learn from this guy?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

SoCalBuilder

Quote from: Caneyscud on January 28, 2011, 06:13:38 AM
Expat, did you get to take that trip to learn from this guy?

Yeah, I'm anxiously awaiting the next chapter too :)

Caneyscud

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

DTJ

just wanted to bump this up.  Looking forward to hearing the rest

Daryl