Another turkey question

Started by Smoked rookie, November 19, 2007, 07:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoked rookie

I want to smoke a thanksgiving turkey for the family.  I tried it last year and it was ok.  I am looking for a smoked "ham textured" turkey.  The one I made last year tasted great but wasn't what I had in mind.  DOes the kind of turkey you buy matter.  We only have one grocery store in our town of 300 and all they get is shurfine Turkeys.  I did try to brine my last won but I wasn't sure if it helped.  Please let me know what to do.

Gizmo

I don't think the brand of Turkey would matter as much as the process and seasonings added to it in the brine process.  I would think you would need to do a cure and brine process that is similar to what is done for ham.  I have not done a ham so can't help you there but
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Welcome to the forum.

To get that ham flavor in your turkey you need to use a brine cure with a nitrite in it. It is the nitrites that give ham, and bacon etc. their distinct flavor. Me personally I want turkey to taste like turkey, but I know there have been post on turkey brines with nitrites as part of the recipe.

Charcuterie has a turkey brine with a nitrite in it. I have never used this brine, but the other recipes I've tried from this book I have generally been satisfied with. This recipe calls for the bird to be prepared for up to 3 days in advance, but you can probably cut down on the brining time, since you are not brining to preserved but to add flavor. Also you could save time by shortening air drying time. That time is recommended for a pellicle to from on the skin, which improve smoke penetration, and for the brine to equally distribute throughout the bird.

1 gal. Water
1.5 C. Morton Kosher salt (12 ounces of salt)
1/2 C. Sugar
8 tsp. Pink salt (InstaCure#1; Prague Powder #1 ect)
2 bunches fresh tarragon
5 Garlic cloves, crushed
1 Bay leaf
2 T. Black peppercorns

Approximately 12 pound turkey.

Prepare like any other brine. Brine turkey for 48 hours. Then remove from brine and rinse. Pat dry with paper towel and allow to air dry in the refrigeratore for 2 to 24 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)