Casing and cure #1

Started by Sailor, May 14, 2010, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

I have found a few sites that sell the hog casings and cure #1.  Price varies per site.  Still learning about this sausage making and I am trying to educate myself.  When buying casings how do most of you purchase them.  I have looked at the Allied Kenco site and I am unsure if I should buy the hank or the Home Pack.  I would guess that the Home Pack is pre-soaked and the hanks will have to be soaked prior to use.  Is this correct?  According to the info on the site a hank will stuff 125lb and the home pack will stuff 25lb.  Any recommendations as to where to order the casing and cure #1 from?  And would a person be better off to order 1lb or 5lb of cure?  I have not idea as to how long a 1lb bag would last if one would make 5lb of sausage a week.  Thanks for the help.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

classicrockgriller

When I order things, I tend to over do it.

The Home pack is 50 feet or more of casing or like you stated 25lbs of sausage.

A lb of cure is alot.

I would start on the smaller end and then after a cple times of making Sausage you can go up as you see the need.

Don't know if you have an Academy near you, but they carry the hog casing and the cure.

Allied Kenco is a great place.

OU812

Bass Pro Shop, Sheels and Cabelas carry the things you need, if you have any of them close by.

KyNola

Gander Mountain does as well.

Sailor

Thanks for the info.  I went ahead and placed an order with Allied Kenco.  The Bass Pro is about 60 miles from me and Gander Mt is a ways North of me and I figured for the cost of shipping I would burn that much gas in driving to those locations.  I was able to get enough casings from a butcher for 10lb so I am not in a big hurry.  My stuffer still has not arrived so all is good.  Thanks again for the rapid responses.  BTW ordered 1lb cure, 2 home packs and some food grade mineral oil for the equipment.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Sailor on May 14, 2010, 11:49:43 AM
Thanks for the info.  I went ahead and placed an order with Allied Kenco.  The Bass Pro is about 60 miles from me and Gander Mt is a ways North of me and I figured for the cost of shipping I would burn that much gas in driving to those locations.  I was able to get enough casings from a butcher for 10lb so I am not in a big hurry.  My stuffer still has not arrived so all is good.  Thanks again for the rapid responses.  BTW ordered 1lb cure, 2 home packs and some food grade mineral oil for the equipment.

Allied Kenco is about an hour from me.

WOW! what a place.

I made a post showing the inside of the store.

Cody (the owner) has a 6 rack Bradley under a vent-a-hood that he runs in the store. :D

Sailor

Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 14, 2010, 12:44:06 PM
Quote from: Sailor on May 14, 2010, 11:49:43 AM
Thanks for the info.  I went ahead and placed an order with Allied Kenco.  The Bass Pro is about 60 miles from me and Gander Mt is a ways North of me and I figured for the cost of shipping I would burn that much gas in driving to those locations.  I was able to get enough casings from a butcher for 10lb so I am not in a big hurry.  My stuffer still has not arrived so all is good.  Thanks again for the rapid responses.  BTW ordered 1lb cure, 2 home packs and some food grade mineral oil for the equipment.

Allied Kenco is about an hour from me.

WOW! what a place.

I made a post showing the inside of the store.

Cody (the owner) has a 6 rack Bradley under a vent-a-hood that he runs in the store. :D

You just knew that someone like be would come along and ask for the link to your post.  LOL Guess I better go searching for it and see if I can find it.

Edit:  I found the post and here is the link http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14045.0  What a store.....Whoot

Habanero Smoker

I get my casings and cures from Sausasge Maker

I purchase by the hank. The Home Pack are vacuum sealed, more expensive and have a shorter shelf life. They are great if you don't make a lot of sausage and the preparation is very simple - you just rinse them inside and out. It's a good way to start out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)