Water Bowl

Started by mattmilw, May 21, 2006, 06:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattmilw

Hi folks-

New owner here. First off, I'd like to say what a fantastic resource this forum is. You guys are a wealth of information, and you readily share your knowledge.  I've had my BS for a week now and have tried a few recipes already. I'm pleased with the results, but I can see with experience I will get better. I also am working on acquiring parts for a PID. Being a gadget guy, this sounds really cool to me.

My question- many say that after the smoking period is over, to replace the water in the bowl. I can understand why you'd want to get the old puck water out of there, but I don't see what adding new water accomplishes.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Matt

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: mattmilw on May 21, 2006, 06:27:31 PM
My question- many say that after the smoking period is over, to replace the water in the bowl. I can understand why you'd want to get the old puck water out of there, but I don't see what adding new water accomplishes.

mattmilw,

Welcome to the forum; the heat and smoke are fine here....

Some guys smoke more than four hours, and by then, the water bowl needs some cleaning up. Also, as you note, leaving it in just puts ash flavors in as the water evaporates. As to new water...

Could also be added humidity, folklore, thermal inertia, or the alignment of the planets and pork butts. We are confident you will help us all here solve this dilemma.  ??? ??? ???

Arcs_n_Sparks

owrstrich

the beast will render its goo onto the the v tray and then into the water bowl...

the comingled water and beast goo will atomize and attach itself to the beast which enhances the flavour and the crust of the beast...

i use one of these for my water goo pan...

but then again it may be to hydrate the tesla coil...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Habanero Smoker

I replenish the water (when I can) for two reasons. The first you have already mentioned. The second is for added safety. You don't want fat accumulating in a dry drip pan that close to the heating element and the heating pad. There is a possibility of it catching fire.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

That's pretty much it in a nut shell guys. That coupled with the faluminization of the esters ( you guys figure that one out) and you have magic in the smoker. Hint, it has something to do with wine. Who ever figures this out first I'll send you a Goose Bay apron. ;D ??? ;)

Phone Guy

Quote from: iceman on May 22, 2006, 11:23:46 AM
That's pretty much it in a nut shell guys. That coupled with the faluminization of the esters ( you guys figure that one out) and you have magic in the smoker. Hint, it has something to do with wine. Who ever figures this out first I'll send you a Goose Bay apron. ;D ??? ;)

esters;
Organic chemical compounds that form when acids react with alcohols. Esters develop in wine both during fermentation and as a result of ageing, and they can contribute a wide variety of flavours and aromas.

also...
Although outer space is "cold," if space vessels and stations are not shielded from the sun they can easily become too hot because the vacuum of space makes it difficult to get rid of acquired heat. Aluminized reflectors are used for this purpose.

Phone Guy

P.S. does that apron fit a medium/large?

iceman

Quote from: Phone Guy on May 22, 2006, 11:40:31 AM

esters;
Organic chemical compounds that form when acids react with alcohols. Esters develop in wine both during fermentation and as a result of ageing, and they can contribute a wide variety of flavours and aromas.

also...
Although outer space is "cold," if space vessels and stations are not shielded from the sun they can easily become too hot because the vacuum of space makes it difficult to get rid of acquired heat. Aluminized reflectors are used for this purpose.

Close enough Phone Guy. Hence when you swirl the wine glass you intensify the aroma and taste. One size fits all. E-mail me your address my good man and I'll get it on it's way.

Oldman

mattmilw

I will just say hello and welcome to the forums.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

IKnowWood

Mattmilw

Welcome to the world of amazing food smoking adventures.

Why I replace the bowl, I notice at times more liquid is vaporized than others.  And frankly, makes it easier to clean up.   I even have two bowls, to make the switch quick and simple.

As for the PID, you will love it.  Makes it so much more of a fun and usefull cooking gadget overall.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

mattmilw

Thanks for the info! It all makes sense....especially the alignment of the planets and the pork butts ;D

All I'm lacking on my PID  is the Omega thermocouple, which will be delivered Friday.  I hope to have it up and running this weekend as I'm doing a couple of butts. Hopefully the learning curve on the Auberins PID is not too steep.

I wish you all a great holiday weekend.

Matt

MallardWacker

Welcome MATT...don't make yourself a stranger.

I don't touch the water bowl in a typical smoke....owrstrich, great idea.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Phone Guy

Quote from: iceman on May 22, 2006, 11:55:09 AM
Quote from: Phone Guy on May 22, 2006, 11:40:31 AM

esters;

also...

Close enough Phone Guy. Hence when you swirl the wine glass you intensify the aroma and taste. One size fits all. E-mail me your address my good man and I'll get it on it's way.

You are a generous bunch.
thanks,
Mike