My first Butt

Started by TTNuge, January 17, 2010, 07:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTNuge

Thanks to many members here that gave me advice I think my first butt turned out great.  It was a big hit today during the game and it kicked as much butt as my Vikings did today.  Great football and great BBQ obviously come from Minnesota!

Here it is at about 4:30PM on Saturday, injected and slathered with some Carolina Treet.

And here it is at about 9AM on Sunday morning, pulled with an IT of about 193f.  From here it got the FTC treatment

And pulled around 11AM..

If I had to have one complaint, only because I am my biggest critic I would have to say it was just a little on the dry side.  It was still moist, but could have been just a touch more moist.  I didn't mop it down at all during the cooking time only because I didn't want it to cool down too much and it was the middle of the night.  The other issue I had was a few issues with the biqsquette feeder, one puck was pretty much charred to ashes as the feeder failed to feed.  My fault I think as I've used the smoker quite a bit lately and haven't cleaned out any of the wood chips or anything since it's always cold here.  Although it's definitely been warming up lately, guess I'll have to stop smoking and start working on my OBS and my Bradley Home.

Glad I got another butt in the freezer because it won't be long till it meets the Bradley.  But I'm thinking a brisket may just have to be next!

classicrockgriller

I think maybe somehow the butt got elongated.

If it had held it form, don't think it would have been dry.

If you run across another like that take some butter twine and hog tie it up to hold it shape.

It Looks damn nice. Nice bark.

FLBentRider

That looks great!

I find that if I shred the butt, it will dry out when I re-heat it.

That is kind of a funny shape for a butt.

What temp did you cook it at?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

hal4uk

TTN -- just FYI--- CRG wasn't really pulling for Dallas today...
He just knocked a hole in the wall for better "air circulation"...

Congats on the win.  (I was pulling for the Boys, but they didn't bring their lunch buckets)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

smokeNcanuck

Looks great Nuge! congrats. I'm gonna try my first butt in the near future(maybe next weekend).  I did a brisket for my first smoke
as it was some thing I always wanted to try.  It was FANTASTIC all thanks to the fine folks on the forum!

BTW  good thing your vikings got our old leftovers(brett!! was that his name??)

I still think he is great, but my loyalty still lies with the PACKERS!! maybe next year ;)
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

classicrockgriller

Yep, They did put a BUTT stompin on Dallas today.

Should be a good game next week with NO.

Both those teams deserve to be playing for the chance to go to the Super Bowl!

TTNuge

I cooked it at 225 and the Bradley/Auber combo did a good job of holding the temp steady from what I could tell, never more than a degree or two of fluctuation.  I also noticed the weird shape but didn't think too much of it being my first one.  I think basically what happened is the roast was ripped apart along one of the muscles so part of it kind of flopped off to the side.  I thought of trying to hold it together with toothpicks or something but tying it up didn't cross my mind, I'll definitely keep that in mind if there's a next time with a butt shaped like that.

It was an interesting football day in the house for sure.   My wife's Mom was from Wisconsin so both my Mother in Law and my wife are Packers fans.  It can get a little tense around the house but we try to respect each other's teams as much as we can during the season.  I have a hard time hiding my pleasure with a Packers loss but oh well.  On the bright side both of them are big Favre fans as well so neither one had too much trouble cheering him on to victory yesterday.  And aside from the regular comment about how if the Vikings win the Super Bowl they needed the help of a Packer to do it I can live with it!

watchdog56

TTNUGE,I am in MN also nice job on the butt by the way. I know a lot of people from Wisc. also and when they were trashing Brett when he first came to Mn I could not believe it. Here they were all those years saying how great he was and when THEIR team decided they did not want him and he plays for either us or the Jets all of a sudden he was not supposed to come out of retirement? They forget THEIR team did not want him anymore it is not like he did not want to play anymore. IMO they should be mad at THEIR management for letting him go.