Obtaining a 500 watt heater element for the OBS in Toronto.

Started by Smokey the Bear., April 04, 2009, 02:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey the Bear.

I live in Toronto,Canada and wanted to know if anyone knew who sold the Bradley products such as heating elements and accessories. I am looking to do the heating element mod by adding another 500 watt element to the OBS.
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

Mr Walleye

Smokey

You can order them from Bryan at Yard and Pool although right now our dollar kinda sucks the hide one. You could check with WestCoast Sausage. He's from BC and sells Bradley Products. I've bought pucks from him in the past and they are a good price when buying a number of boxes. Anyway, here is his email address. I would send him an email and see if he has elements.

[email protected]

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

car54

You can order them directly from Bradley which is in Canada.

Brad

Smokey the Bear.

Thanks Mr Walleye , I have the smoker on full power and it is just creeping up on 100 deg on the door temperature gauge. I will have to finish them off in the oven in an aluminum container covered and install the temp probe in the meat to see when it is done. At least the meat is smoked, i have missed the flavour for many months as i finished off the smoked storage supplies months ago. I will have to increase the storage quantity for next year. :P

Mr Walleye

Smokey

100 degrees....

How long has it been at that temp?

Is the main heating element glowing red?

Do you have the temp slider all the way to the right?

What are you smoking and how big is your load?

The door thermometer is noted for not being that accurate. Inaddition it can be influenced by the meat temp if it's close by. You should be using a thermometer like the Maverick ET73. It has 2 probes, one for the smoker and one for the meat.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokey the Bear.

It is slowly creeping up over 100 deg now after 2 hours. I have six chicken quarters and 4 sausages with a tray of about a pound of ground beef. the temperature is around 40 deg with a 38 km/hr wind so it is just too cold outside for this rig. Even when i pretreated the smoker it did not get much higher than 150 deg with just water in the bowl, i require a additional heater element to compensate for the cold temps that we experience in Toronto.

Smokey the Bear.

Smoked the chicken and sausages and ground beef for hamburgers. It was just too cold out today with the high winds and low temps. Here are a few pics of tomorrows victims

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smokey the Bear. on April 04, 2009, 03:07:33 PM
It is slowly creeping up over 100 deg now after 2 hours. I have six chicken quarters and 4 sausages with a tray of about a pound of ground beef. the temperature is around 40 deg with a 38 km/hr wind so it is just too cold outside for this rig. Even when i pretreated the smoker it did not get much higher than 150 deg with just water in the bowl, i require a additional heater element to compensate for the cold temps that we experience in Toronto.

Since you are in Canada, I have to ask are your temperatures readings in Fahrenheit or Celsius?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokey the Bear.

Smokey the Bear.

Carter

Lookin' good.  Nice to have some confirmed company in the Toronto area.  It will be nice to compare notes.

I have a terrible time finding Bradley related stuff in our neck of the woods.  I bought a pack of Apple pucks yesterday from the Cdn Tire at Eglinton and Pharmacy there but they're usually light on anything but hickory.

I hear what you're saying about temperature.  Yesterday would have been a brutal day.  The wind was wild.

I've got a Turkey Breast going in today for lunches next week and I'm making Chili this afternoon so I may toss in the ground beef and pork for a half hour to an hour to see how Smoked Chili works out.  It will be a first.

Carter

Smokey the Bear.

Yeah when i went to crappy tire yesterday all that was left was mesquite. Thats just what i was lookin for luckily enough.I also live on the border of east york and scarborough. I am just west of Vic Park. I just put my pork shoulder in with the ribs. I am glad to see that the temps are risin much faster than yesterday, the sun on the smoker will also help plus there is virtually no wind compared to yesterday.

Once the ribs are done i am going to smoke some beans as a side dish while the pork shoulder is still cookin.

Carter

Geez we're close.  I'm at Vic Park and St. Clair.  Just west of Vic Park.  Woodbine Gardens.  We're on Plaxton Drive.

Smokey the Bear.

Im on Donora Drive. Much better luck today, just 30 minutes into smoking and she is up to about 140 degrees F. I am now a happy man. ;D
Your street is the route i take to short cut to St Clair. Small world we are about 1/2 km away from each other.Now i know who is buying up my supplies from Canadian Tire. ;)

Carter

That's about a 10-15 minute walk.  Small world eh?

Good luck with your smoke.  Looking forward to comparing notes.

It's funny, when I was in the Tire yesterday, I noticed the Bradley was gone.  I was happy to see it was sold.  Now I know who it was sold to.  I'm always a little concerned about them replacing their puck inventory because they keep such a weak supply - and they always seem to be pushing the cheaper/crappier smokers and the wood chips.  If there's more than one of us buying, that should be good incentive for them to keep their inventory up.

Carter