Bisquette ?

Started by Ninjak, November 18, 2009, 04:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninjak

ok very first smoker not sure about the Bisquette they fall into water still whole and are black is that right i thought they used them up ?

AL

KevinG

No, they should only smoke for 20 minutes. They will still be whole when they go in the pan and black. There may even be some wood left in the center. Sounds normal to me.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Ninjak

ok just checking i did a little ham today and only let itcook for 4 hours and 160 that was wrong it did not hardly get warm i should of did like 240

is there a book that lets me all the meat temp setting i can buy

AL

classicrockgriller

was it a precooked ham ?

KevinG

I own seven different ones that I really like, I'm sure others on this site have some more favorites. The Smoked-Foods Cookbook by Lue & Ed Park, Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas, and Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design by Stanley, Adam, and Robert Marianski, The Canning Freezing, Curing & Smoking of Meat, Fish & Game by Wilbur F. Eastman Jr., Cold-Smoking & Salt Curing Meat, Fish & Game by A.D. Livingston, Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn, and finally one more for veggies Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning by Deborah Madison. Hope these can help.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Ninjak

thanks guys for the nfo yes it was a pre cooked
man it was good a little salty but next time i am going for a real ham

AL

classicrockgriller

I smoked a pre-cooked ham the other day and wipe it down and poke holes in it with a fork and took maple extract and rubbed all over it and vac sealed it for a day.

Took it out vac seal, re-rubbed with extract and smoked it. Let it cool down and re-vac sealed and stuck in fridge for cple days and then sliced it.

It was awesome.

squirtthecat

I've done a couple of bone-in shank hams (the pre cooked ones) as well for the office cafeteria. (Ham and Bean 'blue plate special')    I just hit them with a simple dry rub and smoked to 140* IT.   Awesome.   5 times better than just heating them up in the kitchen oven.

AL, you'll have a serious addiction to this stuff soon!

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 19, 2009, 09:20:33 AM

AL, you'll have a serious addiction to this stuff soon!

I agree with STC. The good news is ; THERE IS NO CURE> ;)

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

RAF128

I also noticed that my pucks are only 1/2 burnt.   Bottom and edges are black but the top hasn't burned at all.   Seems like I'm wasting a lot of wood chips.   Also on the subject of bisquettes, is there somewhere I can find that would suggest what type of chips for certain meats.  I've got maple, hickory, alder, cherry, and Crown Royal.   

FLBentRider

I pre-heat my puck burner along with the smoker.

I've noticed that the Jim Beam's don't get black all over.

Here is a wood guide:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=36#post36
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Here is another link that may be helpful.

Bisquettes do not completely burn.

I also find that the Jim Beam bisquettes frequently only burn on the bottom half.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)