Hello from Southwest Virginia!

Started by Hoss, January 05, 2010, 02:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoss

Hi everyone!

I am originally from south Georgia, recently moved to Virginia.  I am new to the concept of "smoking" meat, although I can do some mean grilling.  A co-worker turned me towards the Bradley Smoker, and according to the tracker, it will be here tomorrow!  I will definately be asking a lot of questions as I learn to use this thing.  I have also been informed by the little misses that the first thing I will be smoking is a whole chicken.  Any tips would be appreciated.  I will try to post some pics so you an see how my first experience went :).
Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.

MPTubbs

Welcome Hoss!

Inject it, rub it, smoke it and then finish up in the oven for a crisp skin.

IT of 165* should work.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Tiny Tim

Welcome Hoss.  Toss the chicken in a brine of some kind (I usually use water, kosher salt, and Brown Sugar, but others have a more thought out recipe) for a few hours before smokin' it.  Would only apply maybe an hour to an hour and a half of smoke, but it'll probably take a good 2+ hours of heat to get the bird done.  Some like to grill or finish in the oven to get the skin crisper, but sometimes I like to chew skin (yeah, I'm a little wierd).

OU812

KEEP THE VENT WIDE OPEN the whole time the bird is in the smoker.

Poultry has allot of moisture in the skin and will cause moisture to build up in the smoker.

Chicken is a good choice for a first smoke.

I like to inject chicken with a blend of stuff I make up but to start off you might want to get your self some Creole Butter injectable seasoning from the store.

Hoss

Thanks for the tips.  I am thinking I will probably use a simple brine (kosher salt, sugar)  and seasoning with a dry rub consisting mostly of garlic powder and old bay.  Just wondering if brushing with olive oil will help any.  I do that when grilling chickens, but not sure how it will do in lower temperatures.
Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.

OU812

Hoss, you got a spice grinder or coffee grinder you dont want to use for coffee anymore?

If so take some of the rub you are going to put on the outside and grind it into a fine powder and mix it with unsalted butter till you get the taste you like and inject it into the bird. I would start with one stick of butter and after you inject use the rest to rub on the out side. Then put the bird in the fridge uncovered over night to let the skin dry and soak up the rub. Pull out in the morn and let come to room temp then through it in the per heated smoker.

Just one way I like to do it.

car54

OU812

How rude of me I totally forgot my manners  ::)

Welcome to the fun Hoss

Let us know what direction you went and how your bird turns out.

Paddlinpaul

Welcome Hoss.
My second time using mine was a whole turkey. Turned out quite well for a novice. Read as much as you can here, these folks know their stuff.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

KevinG

Welcome Hoss, don't forget if you're cooking under 200 to use some cure.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Hoss!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

hal4uk

Welcome Hoss!
You ever been to Nahunta?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Hoss

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Hoss

AH.  I mapquested it, and I may have driven through it on the way to Kingsland, but other than that, no.  I lived up around Swainsboro.