First smoke a success!

Started by DOUG3D, January 01, 2010, 05:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DOUG3D

Finally seasoned and fired up the new 4 rack DBS! Very impressed with the performance! I live near Buffalo, New York and the temps are in the 20's. I decided to try the abt's for the first smoke. I preheated the temp to 260, figuring that the temp would drop to 240's which is where it looks like alot of the posts recommend. The smoker was up to temp in about a 1/2 hour, which I thought was fast. I applied hickory for 1 hr and 20 min and cooked for a total of 3 hrs. I also snuck in a  couple of stuffed banana peppers which came out awesome. I'm hooked, Sunday I'm going to try wings!! You know people from Buffalo like their wings! Thanks to this forum for offering so much support!!!

Quarlow

Right on Doug, glad you are feeling the smoke bug work for you. Smoke on buddy.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

MPTubbs

I still need to try the ABT's.

Glad you like your new toy! ;)
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

pensrock

Next time you do bananna peppers fry up some hot sausage, like you would ground beef. Then mix in with a little cream cheese, you want more sausage than cheese in this case, cover with bacon and smoke away.

DOUG3D

That sounds good pensrock, thanks for the advice!

ArnieM

Hi Doug and welcome to the forum.  Looks like we hooked another one.  ;D

ABTs are great and there's a lot of ways of making them.  I usually take off the top and core them.  Then fill them with whatever.  If you do pulled pork, save some.  You can chop it up and add it to the filling.  If J's are too hot, use banana peppers as pens suggested; basically any long pepper big enough to stuff works. 

The wings likely won't get a crispy skin.  You can smoke 'em up but I'd finish either in a deep fryer or the oven.

Have fun and post up some pics.  Happy New Year!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

Way to go Doug!

Yep, reel 'em in boys, we've hooked another one.

KyNola

KevinG

Glad to hear your first smoke went well. It only gets better from here! Welcome aboard.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Paddlinpaul

I'm still a newbie and a Canadian one at that. What is an ABT?
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

KevinG

Atomic Buffalo Turds or stuffed peppers wrapped in bacon (usually jalapenos).
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Paddlinpaul

Sounds similar to Armadillo Eggs (cheddar cheese stuffed jalapeƱo wrapped in our homemade sausage) served at our local smoke house restaurant just outside of Ottawa, Canada. They have some real good food but nothing taste better than doing it yourself.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

pensrock

QuoteSounds similar to Armadillo Eggs
Yep, I have made Armadillo Eggs before they are very good, another thing to try is to stuff a jalapeno then wrap with a bisquit then bake according to the bisquit mix.

ArnieM

It's hard to go wrong when you get some peppers, pork and cheese together.  ;D

The first batch I ever did (jalapenos) were stuffed with a mix of cream cheese, shredded (bagged) sharp cheddar, pepper jack and mozzarella.  Mix the cheese up with some chipotle powder at room temp.  Make a piping bag from a cheap plastic bag.  Stuff the peppers.  Plug 'em (whole and cored) up with some small hunks of ham.  Wrap in a slice of bacon.  Heaven!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.