Brisket Questions

Started by bayamosmokes, May 29, 2010, 02:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayamosmokes

I just started a 7.5lb whole brisket about an hour ago in my OBS. A couple of questions.

1. Where should i insert my maverick food probe? in the skinnier flat section or in the thicker point?

2. When determining the final temperature. Should i remove the brisket after the flat reaches 190 - 195 degrees or do i have to get the
thicker area up to 190 - 195 degree?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.""

"I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to have been very, very modest."

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

FLBentRider

Quote from: bayamosmokes on May 29, 2010, 02:43:43 PM
I just started a 7.5lb whole brisket about an hour ago in my OBS. A couple of questions.

1. Where should i insert my maverick food probe? in the skinnier flat section or in the thicker point?

2. When determining the final temperature. Should i remove the brisket after the flat reaches 190 - 195 degrees or do i have to get the
thicker area up to 190 - 195 degree?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

1. In the middle. Some people separate the flat from the point.

2. I would pull it when the flat reaches the desired temp. You could chop the point and put it back in the smoker to make burnt ends.

I can't get a whole packer here without a special order. All they carry is flats.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bayamosmokes

FLBentRider,

Thank you for your quick response. I was thinking when the flat reached the right temp i would maybe remove the point and put it back in. If I do this should I then bring the point up to 190 degrees?

I am luck to have a really nice meat shop here. I ordered this brisket and picked it up this morning. It was beautiful. Hopefully I wont ruin it.

When I smoke my butts, I normally spray the butt with apple juice. Do you think that would work with a brisket? If not apple juice what else would you recommend I spray the brisket with?
"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.""

"I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to have been very, very modest."

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

FLBentRider

That will work putting the point back in. 190F is good.

I don't spray butts or briskets, but if that's what you do, go for it.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DTAggie

FLB has you set uo on temp.  I never spray either.

classicrockgriller

Spray if you want, just don't do it in the last cple of hrs so you can have a good Bark.

bayamosmokes

An Update:

At 4:15 this morning my maverick started beeping and got me out of bed. Normally when I smoke overnight I have a hard time sleeping but not last night. I hadn't checked on it all night and never sprayed it with anything so was worried about what i would find. IT had reached 190 and it looked great  :)  Took it out and FTC for 4 hours. Just sliced her up. I was so into my project that I forgot to take pictures.  :( 

I thought it would take longer so my timing was way off. Was hoping to take it out of FTC and start slicing at 1pm for lunch. Wasn't sure how long i could FTC so I sliced after 4 hours. Now I have it wrapped in foil and in the fridge. Any suggestions on how I should warm it up?

Also the thinnest part of the flat was a little dry at the bottom. Besides that, it looks and taste great. Thank you again to everyone on this forum for their constant support.

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

DTAggie

bayamosmokes

Here you go for all of those doubters. I opened up the foil and decided to take a couple of pics.
This was a great idea because it gave me an excuse to eat a couple of slices.  ;D

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

DTAggie

bayamosmokes

It was good. Having a brisket sandwich for lunch  ;D

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

classicrockgriller

What was the total cook time? (24 hrs?)

It might would have benefited from a little juice during FTC.

Brisket looks good.

TestRocket

I'll be on lunch break in less than an hour, brisket sandwich sure sounds good to me!

calis72

Quote from: bayamosmokes on May 30, 2010, 06:59:40 AM
Wasn't sure how long i could FTC so I sliced after 4 hours.

Question for the experts -  how long can you safely keep your food 'FTC'ing?

FLBentRider

Quote from: calis72 on June 02, 2010, 06:27:47 AM
Quote from: bayamosmokes on May 30, 2010, 06:59:40 AM
Wasn't sure how long i could FTC so I sliced after 4 hours.

Question for the experts -  how long can you safely keep your food 'FTC'ing?

It depends on the insulation of the cooler to some degree. You should be safe as long as the temp is over 140F. I do not always sample the temp after FTC.

That said, I have kept a cooler full of butts up to 7 hours with no ill effects.

The more there is in the cooler the longer it will go, they kind of keep each other warm.

I use an igloo "5 Day" cooler. I routinely FTC for 4 hours or more.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!