Football snacks ABT's & moinkballs

Started by pensrock, September 12, 2009, 09:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Making some snacks for the weekend. A little trial and error going on. Trying a new kind of pepper, a little different filling than in the past. and also some moinkballs, which I'm going to glaze with melted pepper jelly as a finish.

I'll try to remember to post after pics also.

Click the thumbnail to see a larger picture.

Moinkballs and a few extra ABT's I would have done more moinkballs but ran out of bacon. So I'm making sketti/meatballs also.

ABT's 3 kinds of peppers. Hungarian, Jalapeno and Fresno. All stuffed with cream cheese/bacon pieces/six kinds of shreaded cheeses. So I guess this would be 7 cheese/bacon ABT's.

Everything into the smoker. Temperature set to 250 F, 1 hour 20 minutes of apple, probably 2-1/2 hours total time.

squirtthecat

Smoked meatballs into the spaghetti sauce??  Yum!

What is that big pepper?

mikecorn.1

Mike

pensrock

Squirt, the meatballs in the sauce are not smoked, I wanted to do more moinkballs but ran out of bacon.

The 2 bigger peppers are Hungarian Hot Wax peppers cut in half, they were huge this year. I had extra filling made so i figured each of them would take quite a bit to fill.

I should go take a look at then now anyway.  :)

pensrock

Finished product. The hot pepper jelly on the moinkballs is a MUST DO. I even glazed a few ABT's with the jelly and they were great.
The ABT's came out great, I think the fresno peppers are slightly hotter than the jalapenos. But not overly hot, I like them.

Click pics for larger view:

Hot pepper jelly.

ABT's and moinks just glazed, back into smoker for 15 minutes to finish.

Everything out of the smoker.

Moinks and ABT's after glaze setting up in the smoker.

Three different peppers, ABT's finished.

Mmmmmmm good.  :)

HawkeyeSmokes

Looks great pens and that pepper jelly glaze sounds good!
HawkeyeSmokes

Hopefull Romantic

I just had dinner both those pics are making me hungry again.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Caribou

Awesome Penns!
Thanks for posting the great picks :)
Carolyn

mikecorn.1

Good looking stuff. Thanks for the pics.
Mike

pensrock

Thanks for the kind words. The pepper jelly works out great, I nuked it for 20 seconds or so, just enough to loosen it up some. then brushed it on. i also put some on a few of the ABT's to try something new. They were really good! I will be doing this more often. After bruching the jelly on, I put back into the smoker for a few more minutes before taking them out to serve. I did not make any pepper mustard this year but want to try that also, It is fairly sweet and a little spicy. That sweet & spicy combo seems to go well together.

Caribou

Pens,
what a great idea using the pepper jelly...love that stuff.
We have heated up little smokies in a crockpot using mustard and pepper jelly 50/50 as the sauce and it was a hit.
Carolyn

pensrock

Carolyn, Thats where I got the idea. For Christmas my dad used to cut up various types of sausages into bite size and mix blackberry jelly with mustard as a dipping sauce. Man was that good. Then one year I made a batch of pepper mustard, which is quite sweet also and we used that, it made the sauce even better. Later on I seen a jar of pepper jelly at a local farmers mkt and had to try it. It was really good. I like to take a jar of pepper jelly and pour over a block or two of soft cream cheese, for a quick party snack. Serve with crackers.

Caribou

Penns,
I love making pepper jelly...it's one of my favorites.  Combining the blackberry jam w/mustard sounds good too.
Yes, the cream cheese and crackers is usually how I use it but now seeing your application my world has gotten a little larger :D
I have a friend that makes habenero raspberry jam which is really good, too.
Carolyn

ArnieM

penns - I just finished brunch and now I'm hungry again.  :P

Based on your pictures, I can see that I can fit more than just my one lousy brick in there.  It's off to Home Depot.

Can you post a link to a recipe for moinkballs?

The ABTs look great.  What is that rack that you have the peppers standing up in?

Thanks.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

pensrock

ArnieM, thanks everything came out great.

Where I work we make industrial furnaces so I grabbed several small pieces of fire brick and hearth plate to use up as much space as possible. It works very well. You may be able to find some thinner pavers to fit under the puck burner as I did.

Moinkball recipe, There really is no recipe, kindof like ABT's. You can use premade meatballs or your own recipe (cooked), wrap them with bacon. Put into the smoker at 200-250 F, for 1 hr. 40 min. of smoke and they will be finished when the bacon is finished (Up to 2 hrs. total). I then took some hot pepper jelly and nuked it for 20-30 seconds and brushed it all over the moinkballs. Then put them back into the smoker for another 10-15 minutes, to allow it to sink in a little. next time I'm going to cook up some italian sausage and cut into bite size pieces and wrap them with the bacon and glaze with the pepper jelly.

The rack I used to hold the peppers, I made at work. But if you search the internet you can find them everywhere, Bryan at Yard & Pool may carry pepper racks also. If you are using only jalapenos and they are not too big, you can flip a Bradley rack over and stand the peppers right into the holes in the tray. I'll see if I got a pic somewhere.