PID temp/probe location

Started by JDNC, February 26, 2009, 02:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDNC

Where do you guys locate your temp/probe when smoking large amounts of link sausage hanging low?  I generally position mine at the top area, but have been using the center racks.  This time I will be hanging links from sticks and I'm concerned about the bottom heat.  Also any advice on the location of meat temp/probe top/cntr/low etc.,?

JD

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: JDNC on February 26, 2009, 02:48:53 AM
Where do you guys locate your temp/probe when smoking large amounts of link sausage hanging low?  I generally position mine at the top area, but have been using the center racks.  This time I will be hanging links from sticks and I'm concerned about the bottom heat.  Also any advice on the location of meat temp/probe top/cntr/low etc.,?

JD

JD

I have my probe hanging through the vent. I use 2 smokesticks and the probe is between them about 2" down from the bottom of the smokesticks.

nepas

drano

My Aube PID probe is one that is permanently mounted to the tower by drilling a hole thru the back.  On my OBS, i put it between the 2d and 3rd racks.  I've done about 8 smokes with it--2 summer sausage, 2 smoked sausage, 2 beef sticks, pork butt, and spare ribs.  All turned out great.  On the last rib smoke, I didn't even bother putting the Maverick probe in because the PID and my fan make the Maverick not worth my time--but setting the Maverick smoker temp alarm above the planned temp makes a nice fire alarm just in case things go bad from a grease fire. 
I noticed on my 6 various sausage smokes listed above, the lower end of the sausage got 5-10 deg warmer than the bottom when it was done, which is understandable since its closer to the heat element.  The middle of the sticks got up to temp last.
get smokin
drano