Gone is the last good open pit BBQ in this county

Started by Oldman, February 11, 2006, 01:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

For as long as I can remember Hickory Smoke House put out the best BBQ in town.  It had the only open pit beside that nasty place on the south side of town. (Open Pits here are no longer permitted. You either purchase a place where one is grandfathered in or you don't have one.)

Well Calvin died...he was the owner.  His family sold it to another family that sold it to another family whose English is a second lanuage. They turn the place into another oriental fish and steak joint as if there were not enough of them around here already.

I bet Calvin is turning over in his grave.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tsquared

I hate it when great culinary traditions are trashed. My town has some good restaurants but no Q whatsoever.(Cept what's out on the porch![:)]) Board seems fast this am, Olds?
T2

ChefBill

I'm with you & T2, It's ashame that all the good things seem to get lost in time. I must be just getting tooooooo OLD.[:(]

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

iceman

Sorry Olds. Dang sad thing to hear about Calvin. Ann and I travel far places just to find joints like he had and it's few and far anymore. On the up note we just got the ADEC permits for the plans on our open pit joint here in Knik Alaska. (It only took them 3 years!!). We have the lot payed for and figure to start clearing this spring. If all goes well it should be up and running in less than 2 years. We're going to do this out of pocket to stay away from the money sucking banks. I have a bunch of ex state troopers and Anc. cops that are into this and are helping out with the project. Ann came up with a good name for the place, "The Pig Pen". I will make sure and save a spot for Calvin on the wall. I grew up with the good food and times like these type of folks knew and want to keep it alive for others to experience. Olds, [:D]you will certainly have an open invitation.

Oldman

T2 I have timed out twice today. You must have gotten lucky.

iceman thank you for the honor...

<b>Grrrrrrr make that 3 time outs today.</b>

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

icerat4

The way i see it here for the short time ive been here seems like the letter C is on your jersey oldman so what ever your going to do seems like the right deal.Either lead follow or get out of the way .I think you know aleady wheat you need to do.May the force be with you oldman.AND any help with my post would be a great help thanks in advance.