asking Canadian smokers for help

Started by smokinjoe73, March 27, 2013, 07:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinjoe73

If this has already been asked sorry, just direct me to the proper thread....

I am in Toronto and have no idea where to buy Prague Powder #1.....also the veri veri teriyaki (soy vay) marinade.....so many recipes call for these items....no idea where to get them....Amazon.com does not send to Canada, or at least my address....
any help is much appreciated....
Thanks in advance....

GusRobin

Below is a recipe for a Vay Veri clone.  Prague Powder is the same as cure #1 if you can get that.

Soy Vay Veri Teriyaki makes 2 cups       
soy sauce   2.0 cups   
sugar   0.75   cup   
brown sugar  1.0   tbs   
fresh garlic   1.0 tbs   
fresh ginger (grated) 1.0 tbs   
sesame seeds (toasted) 0.25 cup   
sesame oil   0.25 cup   
dried onion   cup   0.25      
onion powder 1.0 tsp   
garlic powder 1.0 tsp   
ginger powder 1.0 tsp      
cornstarch (dissolved in water) 1.0 tbs      
Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Transfer the mixture to a small sauce pan. Heat the sauce over low heat until the sugar begins to dissolve. This should take between 10 – 15 minutes. It's alright if all the sugar doesn't completely dissolve, it will eventually dissolve over time. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, dissolve the cornstarch in ¼ cup of water and add to mixture. This will help to make the sauce a little thicker without changing the flavor very much. Allow to cool and transfer to a bottle so you can put it in the refrigerator. It's best to allow to cool overnight before use, but if you are in a hurry, you can use it to marinate right away. Works great on vegetables for soy meat products.            

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

You can try Malabar Super Spice. They sell a Prague Powder #1 equivalent under the name of Sure Cure. Make sure you order Sure Cure and not Total Sure Cure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

SmokinJoe73

In addition to the one Habs pointed out here are a few more in Canada.

Stuffers in Langley, BC - http://www.stuffers.com/default.asp
Halfords in Edmonton, AB - https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/items/1-S1-lV1BS.aspx
JB's in Regina, SK - http://www.jbsausagesupplies.com/catalog/
Canada Compound in Winnipeg, MB & Toronto, ON - http://www.canadacompound.com/

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mark in Ottawa

I know I wasn't the originator of this request, but I want to thank you guys for the info - I'm hoping to get into making some sausage soon (as soon as I can get an Auber), and was wondering where to get the supplies.

Thanks again!

Mark (in Ottawa, Canada)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

PigsAreTasty

smokinjoe,
Soy Vay can be found at Fortinos, Lolaws, and Zehrs. It's not where it should be in the store, it's in those PC Black Label displays they have throughout the stores.
Malabar is a spice distributor, but they are open to the public 12 to 4 Thursday and Friday only. Cash only.
A Kg of cure #1 is $5

Canada Compound, not open on weekends, great prices on collagen casings by the way, sells what they call readycure.
Can someone in the know tell me if this is cure #1, I don't think so, it doesn't say what the nitrite content is, and the usage quantity doesn't look like it is.
Thanks

Habanero Smoker

Hi PigsAreTastey;

I'm not sure if it is equal to cure #1, but I don't believe so. It has the same directions for use as Total Sure Cure so the two (Total Sure Cure & Readycure) may be the same, but I don't know what percentage of sodium nitrite it contains. The package on Total Sure Cure doesn't list the percentage of sodium nitrite either. Some times it is hard to tell by the instructions, and it depends on what the manufacture wants the ppm to be; which can be a range and still be within safety limits. For a whole muscle that will have a dry cure applied the maximum amount of cure #1 would be  1lb per 100lbs of meat. By the looks I would say the sodium nitrite level may be about half of cure #1. Maybe an email to Malibar, they will explain the difference between their Sure Cure (cure #1), and their Total Sure Cure (which seems to be the same as Readycure).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)