neat story, worth a read...

Started by squirtthecat, January 11, 2010, 08:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

hal, I use to do those concrete counter tops and they would look like glass when I was done. There allot of work but sure look nice when there done. If your going to do it out side make sure you tip it slightly or you will have standing water on it every time you want to use it. You will also want to seal it with a sealer with a high count of solids in it.

Just had to through this out there, sorry.

Tenpoint5

See that's the problem with computers they dont know jack what you might be interested in is ISBN 0-376-01160-2 . Also the masonry book does have that exact same project in it already that they show on the cover of that book.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

hal4uk

TP, This the countertop book I already have:
http://www.amazon.com/Concrete-Countertops-Design-Finishes-Kitchen/dp/1561584843/ref=pd_sim_b_1

OU - Nawww...  sorry nuthin'...  I'm all ears on this stuff.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Caneyscud

Hal, OU gave you some great advice.  Also I've heard that particularly outside use a pretty rich mix.  If it is not to be under a cover, OU's advice about a really good high-solid sealer is great advice.  It needs to be applies regularly.  What happens is that on all outside concrete, the cement paste eventually erodes away leaving the aggregate more exposed.  Some installation faster than others.  Nothing wrong - it might not be the slick look that you want.  There are some other applications and additives that could help keep the slick finish.  For years I have wished I could get someone to duplicate the finish on the front porch of the house I grew up in in San Antonio.  I still have scars on the back of my head where I busted it (more than once) slipping on that porch when is was wet.  There's a couple of people, I'd like to put that finish on their front porch   >:(

When things get better as far as the economy goes, I'm thinking about doing an inground CMU/Concrete whirlpool/spa.  I'm not crazy about the looks of those plasctic/fiberglass ones. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

hal4uk

CS - Yep.  I'm still in the planning stages though...  I may or may not do the concrete top.  There's granite/rock place not far from here - so before I commit myself to too much "work", I'll probably stop in and ask them what do they want to get rid of?  It's worth a try.  They might make a great deal on something they haven't been able to sell (?) - as long as it's not just butt ugly - also, I have a pretty small area to work with, so I won't be able to have nearly as much countertop space as I would like, but on the plus side, that means I won't be quite as concerned about cost per square foot.

I'm planning to do a roof over the area, so that will add more time to the project too.  So, I have to consider the time aspect of each decision I make - even a simple/small cooking area (with a roof) can get into a LOT of work.  Of course, I want it to be/look reasonably nice, but the "Git-R-Done" factor will be very important. As soon as it warms up I have to get started, and figuring on some spring rains, and only having nights/weekends, prime summer cooking days will sneak up on me quick.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby