Pucks not burning

Started by CC Smoker, December 30, 2007, 06:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC Smoker

I have tried to season my new unit twice. Both times the pucks are only partially burning and dropping into the water. I believe that I have let it warm up properly before advancing the pucks. Any suggestions? Need help as I want to smoke a turkey tomorrow.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Just the first or all of them? If you do not let it warm up, the first one will not char completely.

CC Smoker

They all seem to just char. The next to last one burns completly because it isn't getting pushed off.

Gizmo

Digital or Original?
Does the puck advance cycle every 20 minutes or earlier?  Is partially burning meaning half the puck is burnt and half is not, or there is a small amount of wood that is not burnt?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

CC Smoker

Gizmo,

It is an original. The pucks seem to be more "wood" than burnt. Is this a normal condition? As for the 20 minute cycle, I am not sure if it is pushing them off sooner. Should the pucks be more ash or retain their shape? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr Walleye

They do tend to retain there shape although they are usually pretty much completely black. The only exception to this is the first puck, sometimes it looks somewhat half burnt. I would make sure the timer is roughly pushing the pucks through every 20 minute. Just time a couple to make sure.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

CC... Welcome to the forum! (I ment to say that in the previous post)

A couple questions for you....

How long did you let it warm up and at what temp and was the generator warmed up too?

Mike

Gizmo

Mike has it nailed from my experience as well.  I would seconds Mike's recommendation to time a few.  If the pucks are not getting pushed exactly 20 minutes apart, there is something wrong with the push timer.  If they are getting pushed 20 minutes apart, then I would think there is a loose connection on the puck burner or your power feed is insufficient (using an extension cord or something).
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

CC Smoker

Thanks for your help!!  I let the unit warm up for at least half an hour. The temp on the box was around 150 before I advanced the first puck on to the burner. Is the puck supposed to be fully spent, or does it just turn black? I still see some wood on the puck. I will try to time them tomorrow. This is the only thing plugged into the outlet with no other cords used.

Mr Walleye

CC

Make sure you preheat both the main tower heater and the smoke generator. Don't be scared to set the temp at 200 or so. Once everything is warmed up for 1/2 or 3/4 of an hour, put the pucks in the generator and advance them to the burner. Have the vent about 1/3 open. I would still try timing them to make sure it's ok.

Like I said the pucks usually retain their shape but are black, sometimes the first puck off the burner is not as burnt as the rest. This is normal. The idea is the pucks burn until they reach the point where they will begin to give off resins, at this time the puck gets extinguished in the water.

Hope that helps.

Mike

CC Smoker

Mr. Walleye and Gizmo,

You both are a great help! I will take your advice and check the time. The only reason I didn't have the temp up was the directions for seasoning mentioned 150. I will turn it up in the future. I have had a turkey in a brine solution for about 24 hours and want to put it on tomorrow. How long would you suggest smoking it and what temp and length of time?

Mr Walleye

CC

I haven't done turkey before but Smoking Duck is doing one tommorrow and you can read about it here...
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6483.0

Here is a great looking one that Chevyman did as well...
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6406.0

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike

KyNola

CC,
Welcome aboard.  I smoked an 18.5 pound turkey for Xmas.  Rolled 3 hours worth of apple wood and it was not too smokey at all.  One thing about turkey and chicken, open the vent all the way as they have tons of moisture you want to escape.  Can't say how long total cook time should be as there are so many variables, bird weight, tower temp, etc.  Mine went about 5 hours total.

Play with it and have fun,
KyNola

mcanik

I know this thread is old, but is there anyone that can tell me if there is a timer adjustment for the puck advance? I am thinking I may be able to squeeze a few more minutes outta the pucks. But then again I am cheap and new to the forum.

Habanero Smoker

There is no timer adjustment that can lengthen the time the bisquette will burn on the plate. According to Bradley the 20 minutes (plus or take a minute or two) is the optimal time you want to burn the bisquettes, so they won't produce gases, acids and resins which can give the food a harsh smoke flavor.

Maybe someone with some electronic background may have an idea of how you may modify the advance motor, but I don't think the risk will outweigh any possible savings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)