Will Jerky Sweat?

Started by Max, December 26, 2009, 10:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

I just pulled my first batch of beef jerky off the smoker. I'm pretty sure it is done based on the texture and color. Hard to measure temp because by the time my slow thermometer reads the thin strip of meat cools.

I have it sitting on a plate in the kitchen and it looks like it is sweating a bit. Is that normal. I assume it should be completely dry before bagging in plastic? What's the best approach, brown paper bag in the fridge for 24 hrs then plastic?

Max

josbocc

Max,

Are you usig whole-muscle meat, or Ground Beef?  If it is GB, you might be getting some fat rendering out of the jerky as it dried.  I lay my jerky on paper towels, then pat the top dry.  A well-reknowned jerky maker by the name of Nepas throws his in a brown paper bag.

Give it a try, and let us know how you make out.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

NePaSmoKer

Jerky and sticks need to breath. In a zip lock baggy in the fridge it will build up moisture which will make the jerky/sticks go bad faster. Use the brown paper bag or a glass or plastic jug with holes in the top.

You can leave jerky and sticks out on the counter if you cured them right.

nepas

FLBentRider

Is it sweating fat or water.

Water I would say not done yet.

Fat - paper towels or the paper bag.

I do whole muscle in the dehydrator - if I am in a hurry and do them @ 160F the fat will render out. I usually do them @ 145F for longer.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Max

I think it is rendered fat, because I touched some dry paper to it and it looks like grease. Here are some pics of the process.

Top round roast "London Broil" about 3 lbs. cut into strips. Marinaded overnight.

Dried out on some paper towels:

onto the racks:

Here are two pics of the finished product, color difference is due to the camera flash on/off:

Going into a paper bag now.

Max

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Max

Thanks FLBR. I am happy with how it came out.

NePas, I did put a 1/4 t. of LEM cure in (about 1/2 what the package recommends), and the marinade was soy/Worcestershire mix, no water added. Good and salty.I'm thinking it can sit out on the kitchen counter in a paper bag for 4 - 5 days at least, you think? It'll probably get all eaten up by then or sooner.

Oh, and those snack sticks you make look REAL good. Have to get me some casings, cause I just got the Kitchen-aid meat grinder attachment for Christmas.