sausage

Started by Tim C, November 03, 2005, 12:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim C

Does any one have a good recpie for pepperoni? I would like to make some but cant seem to find a recpie and can I use hog caseings to make them  Tim

calatexmex

Hi Tim, Here is a recipe for Pepperoni. I have not made this myself but it is from my sausage and jerky Hand Book and looks good. I will put them down just as written in the book.

8lbs lean meat. (venison/beef)
2lb  Pork Butt
2tsp. curing salt.(insta-cure)
6tbls salt
2tbls powdered dextrose
1tbls crushed red pepper (hot)
1tsp  allspice (ground)
5 tsp. anise seed(ground)
1 C   Powdered milk (binder)
2 C   Ice water
3/4 C Fermento
3 tbls corn syrup solids
The meat is ground through a 3/16" grinder plate and placed into a mixing tub with all ingredients. Mix very well unitl all ingredients are properly distributed.
Stuff into 38 to 42 mm hog casings. Cure overnight in refirigerator.
Place sausage into smoker. at 125f. with vents wide open no smoke until casing is dry to the touch. raise temp to 165f. add smoke if desired. Hold at 165 until internal temp is 145f. Remove from smoker and chill in cold water until internal temp is 90-100f.
Traditionally pepperoni is not smoked but if you like the smoke flavor go for it.
I hope this is what you where looking for.

Mike C

calatexmex

Hello, Tim,
I am more than happy to help you out. Here is what I know.

Fermento is a dairybased, controlled fermentation product in powdered form.
Fermento imparts a tangy flavor and may be used in the manufacture of all fermented-type sausages similar to summer sausage, thuringer, pepperoni, ect. This assisted in the making of fermented-type sausage at home as well as the smaller commercial sausage kitchens. Fermento should only be used in the production of semi-dry products.
The recommended usage levels are 1-6 percent, depending on the flavor desired. However, 3 percent generally is the accepted level to start with. If you desire more tang to the product, you may go as high as 6 percent. as mentioned above.  It is important that you do not go beyond 6 percent, as it can cause the sausage to break down and become mushy. You may use less then 3 percent if you desire less tang. The uses referred to are only a guideline and the user should determine the suitability of this product for each product that is made.

Instacure No. 1
This is a basic cure that is used to cure all meats include poultry, fish, hams, bacon, luncheon meats, corned beef pates, and many other products too numerous to mention. Instacure No.1 is a combination of a small amount of sodium nitrite on a salt carrier. To be more specific, a pound of Instacure No.1contains 1oz of sodium nitrite to each pound of salt. This is also a good time to mention that it only takes 4 oz of Instacure No.1 to cure 100 pounds of sausage, 3 oz for 50 lbs, and only 1oz for 25 lbs. When curing 10lb of meat, it takes a little less than 1/2oz of Instacure. Put another way, 6 level teaspoons equal about 1oz of Instacure, or 2 level teaspoons will cure 10lb of sausage
You must use cure to make smoked sausage or jerky. Because of the low temps. The meat is in the danger zone 40dg. -140 deg.no oxygen for along period of time. If you didn't use the cure you could be flirting with Botulism. The cure prevents it.
Below are links to a place where you can buy these ingredients
I hope this helps if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to write back.
Mike

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=fermento&btnSearch=GO

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=cure

Mike C