The River Cottage Meat Book.

Started by manxman, November 08, 2005, 02:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

For anyone who is passionate about their meat this book is a must in my humble opinion, absolutely brilliant.

To me it is a definitive guide to the preparation and cooking of meat and covers a vast array of topics.....from choosing meat through ageing, curing, brining,smoking (albeit it not a great deal), cooking and storage plus a host of brilliant recipes.

Great methods for producing your own bacon and a superb looking Boston Baked Bean recipe!!

It covers all the usual farmed animals together with wild game although only game specific to the UK.... unfortunately there are not too many moose etc. at large on this side of the pond!

Details are:

The River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall.
(ISBN 0340826355) Cost £22 - £30 in UK.

I did find a US supplier,Premier Books, Wilmington, DE but the cost was about £45/$70 in the USA, rather expensive.

Manxman.
Manxman

nsxbill

I bought this book at Half.com for $34.95 as I recall.  They have one now for £15 for shipment to UK, and around 35 for shipment to US for those interested.  Very good reference for you smokeheads!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

manxman

Mmmmm.... and I paid £25 for mine!!![:(]

Manxman.
Manxman

ritzdeliman

Just ordered a copy from chapters indigo, 41.00 cdn inclds shipping. The prices do vary though ive seen as much as 120.00 for a first edition. But I would try chapters and see what the shipping costs are to your area. ritzdeliman

JJC

Thanks for the tip, Manx!  I'm going to hunt for it as soon as I get off the Forum . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

Just ordered it from Amazon for $31.10, including shipping (hardcover version).  There was an excellent review there on the book corroborating your high praise for it.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

car54

I just ordered one through Amazon also. It looks like an interesting book and I am looking forward to reading it.
  Brad

manxman

Just hope you folks like it! The emphasis is very much on sourcing good quality meat then handling it and cooking it accordingly.

He actually rears his own animals so the first part of the book makes interesting reading from that aspect.

Since getting it I have done several of the recipes, the Boston Baked Beans went down a treat with my 2 young boys whilst I had a good helping after getting back from walking the 2 dogs on the local beach in a force 10 severe gale, a real winter warmer served with crusty french bread.

The rib roast recipe is awesome, had that a day or two ago and I have also done a couple of his pork recipes.

I have also bought another couple of his books that cover other subjects...... one in particular called the River Cottage Cookbook is also excellent, includes a lot more than just meatincluding more on smoked food.

Another good British author for those interested in fish is a guy called Rick Stein, all of his books relating to fish are excellent although some revolve around travelling around the UK which not be of much interest to those of you in the US.

Look forward to hearing your opinions.

Manxman.
Manxman

ritzdeliman

This book ROCKS...I mean SMOKES. Had mine for about 2 days and I can't put it down. As a chef you always look for a good resource book and this one has it all, from raising to buying and butchering your own meat. The recipes look great as well, haven't tried any yet. It is really 3 books in one in my opinion and will find a permanent place on my list of cookbooks. Thankx Manx
ritzdeliman

car54

I just recieved my copy and it is very informative. I may be purchasing some of his other books.

Brad

manxman

Good, really please you both like it. Always a bit on tenderhooks when recommending something to others!!![:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

JJC

Mine just arrived this afternoon.  If I weren't so busy smokin' and catching up on the Forum, I'd be reading it.  Plan to start it later this evening . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

ritzdeliman

Hey Manx, just curious on the rules and regulations on the sale of smoked meat and fish products in the UK, being part of the commonwealth here in Can. I'm just wondering if there is a set legislation or is it regional, the guidlines are sketchy here and the health dept. and the CFAA have given me very different opinions on the topic and no one seems to know what is the standard for sales in any counrty. ritz